Last Day at Arenal and Back to Tamarindo

La Fortuna Travel Blog

La Fortuna Waterfall

On our last day in Arenal we wanted to go to Monteverde National Park to see the Cloud Forest and do a canopy tour. However, we found out the trip to Monteverde would take an additional 3-4 hours from Arenal! Oh hell no! We opted out of that and decided to go see one of the largest tourist traps, I mean tourist destinations in CR, La Fortuna Waterfall. So, we said good buy to Volcan Arenal and the Observatory Lodge and headed out to La Fortuna. Once we got there we changed into our swim gear and headed down to the waterfall. The hike down was beautiful and the waterfall was spectacular! We finally got there and WOW! Alex was the first one in the water and I went second. I only lasted about 1.

Alex looking oh so happy changing the tire!
5 seconds in the water. OMG it was so COLD I had to get out before my heart stopped beating!

We took a bunch of pictures of the waterfall and before we left I wanted to get some pictures of us down the river with the waterfall behind us. After we took some pictures I started to walk ahead of Alex. As I climbed over the rocks I heard a splash and saw that Alex had slipped and fell into the water, shoes and all. Oh boy was he pissed! Water was pouring out of his hiking shoes and his socks were sopping wet.

After Alex fell we were happy we were on our way out, but not looking forward to the long hike up to the car! I think the hike back up was 85-90% all stairs, Yes, STAIRS! Know I know we have been working out and are in ok to good shape but all Stairs! I wanted to die but, we did it! All I could hear was Sunny’s voice telling me to keep moving and I did! She would be very proud of us!

So, we made it back up to the car when I noticed the rear tire was really low. I showed Alex and knew this would send him over the edge. He was not a happy camper! Not only were his shoes and socks sopping wet but now he had to change a flat tire but he kept a good attitude with my help. I had to get a picture! He changed the tire and saved the day! My Hero! We left the waterfall and headed into town to eat lunch. The town of La Fortuna is really cute and bustling! As we were getting ready to leave on our journey back to Tamarindo, Alex and I got into the car, and could not pull my seat belt across to fasten the buckle. It was stuck! Alex spent the next 15-20 minutes pulling, yanking, screaming, and pulling the plastic molding covering the seat belt off to see what the problem was! He truly was about to lose his mind! Just as I sat in the back seat of the car and gave into the idea that I would ride in the back all the way back, he got it to work! OMG! It was a miracle! I quickly jumped in and we were off!

Prior to our departure from the Observatory we were told by one of the staff  that if we wanted to avoid the crazy windy road around Lake Arenal and see more of CR on our way back to Tamarindo we should take a back road. So, we did! The back country road was beautiful! Tons of farms and cool little towns! It took us all the way north almost to Nicaragua. We were about 5 miles away from the border! It added an additional hour to our drive but it was worth it to see a different side of CR. We made it into Tamarindo at sunset and were so happy to be back at the beach for the last 3 days of our Honeymoon! Oh by the way I need to give Alex mad props, he has not shaven since the wedding! He is truly living the surfer, shipwreck look!

puttyland says:
Love the waterfall shot! See you soon!
Posted on: Aug 22, 2008
Us at the waterfall
Us at the waterfall
Alex looking oh so happy changing …
Alex looking oh so happy changing…
La Fortuna