Day in the city

Dublin Travel Blog

On the bus

We decided to go into the city today. My mum, the girls and I got on a bus as Reagan and Jordan really wanted to go in a double bus and sit up the top. It is a good way to go into the city, or another good choice is the Luas, which is a tram or road rail system. Driving and parking in the city is murder, so I would not recommend it! If you're coming in for the day you are better off parking on the outskirts and getting one of previously mentioned forms of transport, or the DART, which is another train system. (And for another day, the DART is a great way to get to all the places along the coast, from the north to the southside of Dublin and back.)

We bought a family ticket which means you can travel all day on all the buses you like for a total of €10,-.

On the bus
Not a bad deal! We got off at the last stop and walked across the Ha'Penny Bridge to get to Henry Street. The bridge has this name because of the toll that used to be charged to be able to walk across. We first went to Dunnes Stores in The Ilac Centre, as I was looking for something specific. Of course they didn't have it... Walking through Henry Street we came across a few buskers and people doing all sorts of stuff to make a few bob. There was a guy playing a very curious musical instrument, which turned out to be a "Chapman Stick". (For others who don't know it: http://www.stick.com/)

We bought some clothes for the girls (those with kids know that you always end up buying stuff for the kids, and hardly ever anything for yourself), and after that went to the post office to post some goodies and drawings and stuff to Merv (ice4swervin) to keep him happy while he's in Scotland. My mum took the kids back home after that, while I stayed in the city for a bit longer. I finally ended up buying something for myself: a pair of jeans and a book. As I don't like reading translations of books I always buy books in English if that was the original language. I got one by Patricia Scanlan this time, a very good Irish writer.

Went home on the bus after that and got off at the wrong stop so had to walk a bit more. My feet and back are sore but it was a good day, with mostly good weather again!

ice4swervin says:
So no new jeans for me... :(
Posted on: Jul 07, 2008