The trip there

Netherlands Travel Blog

Goodbyes at the train station

Got up and had a few things to do in the morning before leaving for the train station, and got a little stressed but it all got done in time. I had ordered a taxi to take us to the train station as walking there with all the bags, two adults and two kids didn't seem like the best option. Taxi was there in time (well, he went to the wrong house but luckily that was only three houses down the road and i saw him there) so we got to the train station in plenty of time. I had bought a discount card a couple of weeks ago so I got to travel at 40% discount which was good. The girls and I said goodbye to Merv on the platform which was a bit emotional of course as we have no idea when we will see each other again. Merv is off to Scotland next Monday for medical treatment and we don't know how long that will take.

Train ride

Reagan, Jordan and I got on the train at Meppel and had to change trains in Amersfoort first. Merv had bought them a little drawing board so that kept them occupied for a little bit, and they also looked outside and commented on every cow, windmill, horse they saw. When we changed trains in Amersfoort all we had to do is walk from one side of the platform to the other so that was easy enough. The girls listened very well, held hands and Reagan helped with the bags so that was great. The next change over was at Utrecht.

Train ride
The walk was a bit further here but we also had more time, especially seeing the train was delayed by ten minutes. Once we got on this train we could stay on until the last stop: Eindhoven.

The weather had changed a bit during the trip. We started off in Meppel with sun and 31 degrees Celcius, but by the time we got to Utrecht rain had started and on the last leg of the trip thunder and lightning! It was still quite humid, and the trip on the bus to the airport was not very pleasant to say the least! Getting on the bus was hard too. With two kids and 5 bags (2 trolleys, a backpack, laptop bag and purse) it was not easy to get throught the narrow isle to get to a seat. Again I was amazed at how unhelpful the Dutch are, not one person offered to help! By the time we had a seat and got on our way I was sweating profusely which was not very comfortable.

Look what I made!
We got to the airport in plenaty of time and sat out on the deck to watch the planes and had a drink and something to eat. As soon as rain started pouring down again we went inside to wait for the flight.

Going to the check-point was simple, although of course I had to thow the waterbottles and the coldpack I had brought to keep the drinks cold. We then sat down to wait for the flight. We were called for boarding but then had to wait for quite a while as the plane arrived but wasn't allowed to disembark people because of the thunderstorm and lightning. I also found out that the priority boarding you used to get when checking in online doesn't happen anymore, you now have to pay for it. You also do not get priority with kids. We eventually left about an hour late.

A very nice gentleman (not Dutch) helped me get the bags on the plane.

Waiting to board
Once on the plane we suddenly all had to pee (maybe due to the rain we had to run through to get there?). Of course we had to wait until after take-off and then had to ask for the toilet to be opened. We all got to go but then the stewards had started taking the drinks trolley around so we had to wait to get back to our seat. In the end I asked if we could please get back there because my daughters started to show a lot of interest in all the buttons at the front end of the plane... The rest of the flight was fine, friendly staff and the girls were pretty well behaved. Glad I brought some stuff for them to play with though!

My mum was waiting for us when we got there and we drove home (Clondalkin) had some dinner and the girls were in bed very late and us even later....

ice4swervin says:
Bravely I held back my tears... until I got home at least... see you all soon!
Posted on: Jul 03, 2008