Quick Summary

Madrid Travel Blog

For my spring break this year I visited Madrid. Since I was in Rome for a semester and my girlfriend was studying in Madrid, I decided to take a close look at that Spanish capital and it turned out it was the right decision. I also wanted to see if it compares at all to the second most beautiful city in Europe for me - Barcelona.
And let me tell you: it surely does! Not knowing what to really expect, I just packed up and went. RyanAir and EasyJet got me there and back for cheap and I stayed at some random hostels around Gran Via.
Madrid is a city with a really good clash of modern and historic sights. After all, it is the capital of Spain. It is also the official residence of the King of Spain (who btw called me when he found out I was coming and wanted to take me out to dinner and stuff but I had better things to do that day so, yeah. :)
Anyways, first things first. Immediately we went to the Prado Museum. This museum is one of the most famous in the world and it is the home of some of the most famous paintings in the world done by some pretty sweet painters like Velasquez, Goya, El Greco, Raphael, and others. It was a big one and to me it seemed like it was laid out like a maze. People kept getting lost and the rooms were mysteriously labeled. It was all good tho. We saw the "Las Meninas" by Velasquez, which is supposed to be one of the best done paintings in the world. Realistically though, I am boring myself to death with this blog already, and I can only imagine how you feel. So lets go on to other things..
Madrid has a sweet park. It is the best park I have ever been to. It is called "El Retiro" and it is in the middle of the city. It used to be a Royal Park only, which meant it was only open to the Royal Family. And it is the size of Macedonia. If not bigger. Its huge. We were there for half a day and we only got to see 1/10th of it. It was ridiculous. There is a very sweet pond (lake, whatever) in the middle of it and it was very sunny, grass and flowers everywhere, people in the millions...it was awesome. We took a little boat on the lake which was hella sweet (yes, I said hella). I have a video of that but I am gonna have to put it up later. I cant wait to go back there and hang out in the park. There were a bunch of guys kickin a soccer ball around, so I joined them and concluded a great visit to the park.

Unlike Rome, Madrid isn't that touristy. Which means much less gypsies and much more local fun. Plaza Mayor was a perfect place to experience both. We got some pastries and just sat in the sun, doing some people watching and relaxing. There were many street entertainers for money, from sculptures to Cleopatras. Little kids were loving it. The square was very pretty too. It is a huge square with entrances from every side and a nice monument in the middle.

The last day, we went to a Spanish PAZAR. Something like Zeleno Pazarce in Macedonia, just slighlty more sophisticated and only present on Sundays. 99% Women, shopping like crazy, bargaining when they get the chance to, buying things they will never use. Looked very much like my mom there, but its a small world, and women are very predictable. :-D It was still cool tho, I enjoyed my time.

That was a quick overview of the "cultural" things I did while in Madrid. Kelly and I also tried to go see Atletico Madrid vs. Barcelona but the tickets were way too expensive to scalp. We also went out to dinner and we had a delicious Paella with Seafood. It was very classy too.

I really hope to go back to Spain and see more of Madrid and central Spain. The South also looks extravagant so that is a place i want to hit up soon. We'll see...
JeAr says:
looks like u had a great time! too bad u didn't meet up with King Carlos though. if u plan on going to London anytime soon, just tell me and i'd give u Prince William's number so u guys can hang out. he's pretty boring though hehehe :P
Posted on: Jul 07, 2008