AsiaChinaNanjing

Work and Culture in Nanjing

Nanjing Travel Blog

Shanghai Station
We had a long day getting to Nanjing because I made a mistake and flew to Shanghai intending to take the CRH (High Speed Train), but I didn't realize that there was a direct flight from Hong Kong. Jimmy was smart and flew from Hong Kong while Joe and I endured the rush hour traffic from Pudong airport to the train station. Including flights, layovers and trains, I think the entire trip took 16 hours, Ugh. Won't do that again Haha.

Since Jimmy and I had to work, our free time was very limited. Even at night we had dinner obligations.
Purple Mountain Lounge
But we were not complaining, as the cultural experience is fantastic. If you ever get a chance for a business dinner with the Chinese, I recommend you take it. There are many little traditionals and formalities that I can not describe them all here, but it is a really nice experience. The first dinner our hosts took us to the Purple Mountain Resort. This is an exclusive place and only people with connections can book a table here. One famous tradition is for the hosts to try to gang up on the guests by ganbei "bottoms up" to get them tipsy. To gang up is easy because the Chinese love to entertain and bring many people. Ganbei is also effective at preventing the guests from 'sipping' the liquor. Hahaha. For dinner they were serving Baijiu, most famous liquor in China. I can only describe it as something like Grappa.
Nanjing 1912
Very powerful and it'll knock you on your azz. Hahaha. The dinner was quite formal and instead of bringing food to the table for the guests to share, everyone was brought a serving each course. The entire dinner was 18 courses and by the end I was extremely full. I lost count of the number of shots after a while, but needless to say Joe made quite a favorable impression!

On the way back to the hotel, the driver dropped us off at Nanjing 1912. This is an old section of Nanjing that has been converted to restaurants and nightlife. The names of the clubs are so funny, my favorite was 100 Degree's Boiling. Hahaha, we had a good time walking around and trying different places. First we went to to a club across from the Blue Marlin, but I forgot the name. As we walked in the host grabbed us a lead us round the huge elevated U-shaped bar.
Nanjing 1912 Street
At one point he was pulling Joe by the hand. They took us up into the back bar and we hung out with the bar tenders. I have no idea about why they did that, but it was quite funny. So we took a beer and watched the singer and the DJ. The music was great and she was a decent singer. She had a bodyguard, but he looked like 75 years old and couldn't stop anybody.

After a while, we got tired of being isolated from the crowd, so we went over to SoHo, but they were playing 1990's love music, Ugh weird. So we bolted. Stuck our head in BB King before ending up at A8 music club. Wow, we had a ton of fun, hanging out in the middle of a group of people that nobody could speak anything but Mandarin, we tried English, French, Spanish and little Viet, but only thing that worked was gestures, smiling and pointing. Haha we laughed a lot, and we were the only westerners in there. Every hour they play some Chinese Club mix that i must say was totally bumpin. Huge amount of bass beatz and everybody going crazy. Good time!
mario26 says:
im jalous dude i want ur life
Posted on: Jul 17, 2008
yadilitta says:
mmm, you are a big guy. I guess I can fit in your suitcase, haha
Posted on: Jul 12, 2008
jmaxiv says:
Next come, you should come also and have the experience!!!
Posted on: Jul 12, 2008