AsiaChinaNanjing

Nanjing - Confucius Temple & Old Town

Nanjing Travel Blog

Confucius Temple
Since we had almost no time to tour while in Nanjing, Emily offered to take us to the Confucius Temple in the old city for lunch. This temple was built in the Song Dynasty (1034). It was destroyed and rebuilt many times. The scenery is very nice as the temple grounds are on the banks of the Qinhuai River. In front of the temple is a golden wishing tree where you can make a wish on a ribbon and through the ribbon up in the tree. The higher you achieve on the throw, the better the chance the wish will be received. Multiple throws (if it falls out of the tree) are very bad luck.

We stopped at a huge restaurant to get our lunch. The selection was huge and the prices were incredibly low. The four of us split up and wandered around the serving area's picking the food we wanted from Dim Sum, to fruit and veggies to typical Nanjing Dessert.
Good Luck Tree

After lunch, we walked to the temple area and Joe launched into his now famous shopping spree. Within about 15min he was followed by people that were amazed at his capacity for buying stuff. Haha It was also funny to watch the shop keepers try to help him find his size. Once Joe got tired of buying stuff we rented a boat and took a tour down the river to see the old colonial houses, bridges and restaurants.

The following night we had a similar dinner with different hosts in a private table at the Jingling Hotel. This night they tried to get us hammered on Moutai which is the most famous yellow wine in China. Personally I like Moutai better than Baijiu. This night I paced myself better so that I didn't eat so much food. This was good because this was the night that the Chinese ganged up on me! Hahaha, I think I passed the test.

We took Jimmy to Nanjing 1912 since he missed it the last night. We went back to A8 since we had fun their that last night. Jimmy even got up danced like a crazy man. Hahah see the pix!
Even More Food