EuropeItalyRome

Rome

Rome Travel Blog

Tuscan Sunrise

I left Firenze at 6:30am and pretty much had the train to myself. It was nice to see the sun rise above the Tuscan landscape from my window. At our first stop, more people got on and around 9am a crowded train ran into Roma Termini.

After getting my coffee fix, I went into the belly of the station and bought a 1 day travel card, or Biglietto Giornaliero, for the subway.

If there was 1 thing I was going to see on this short trip to Rome, it was the Colosseum, so I took the subway there, walked out of the station, and there it was, right in front of me, looking very magnificent. I bought a ticket, went inside and spent the better of an hour looking around the place.

Colosseo

After an overpriced sandwich, it was time to see the Fora Romano, which was also quite beautiful. It started to rain a bit, but not enough to get the umbrella out, so I walked on.

And that's when everything went a wee bit wrong. I NEVER get lost. You can drop me anywhere and I will find my way to a certain place without too much problem. Rome however got the better of me. I don't know why, but I had a really hard time finding the Pantheon. There was a Christmas market on the Piazza Navono, where I grabbed a bite to eat and then explored the side streets, got lost again,  and then eventually and by sheer surprise, found myself in front of the Trevi Fountain.

As I returned from the Hard Rock CafĂ©, the rain got worse. I almost skidded down the Spanish Stairs.

Getting pretty much soaked, I ducked into a small cafe for coffee and then decided to take the Subway to Vatican City.

Trevi Fountain

Even despite the flood, the place was jammed with Japanese tourists. I walked around a bit, but then got fed up with the weather and everything and took the subway back to the train station, after a stop on Piazza del Popolo.

My train didn't leave for another 4 hours, so I explored the area around the train station, found a restaurant that would let me come inside (at this time I looked like something you'd just fished out of the river) and had pizza and a few glasses of wine.

Eventually I cought my train back at 7:10pm. There was no light in our compartment, which wasn't bad really. It gave the trainride back to Firenze an eerie feel. Exhausted and almost completely dry again, I fell asleep in my hotel room the moment my head hit the pillow.

Pantheon
Pantheon
Colisseo
Colisseo
Spanish Stairs (slippery when wet)
Spanish Stairs (slippery when wet)
Piazza del Popolo