Bologna

Bologna Travel Blog

Fontana Del Nettuno

This wasn't initially planned. Bologna was cheaper to fly to than Florence, so it would just be my arrival and departure city. However, because of a flight schedule change I was forced to stay in Bologna for a whole day. I didn't regret it one moment. I fell in love with this city the moment I walked down the Via Dell Indipendenza.

The hotel had been kind enough to provide me with a map, so I set off, walking to the Piazza Maggiore with its Neptune Fountain, Palazzo d'Accursio and Palazzo dei Banchi.

Now don't take this personally, but what is it with Italians and their towers? Here, on the Piazza Ravegnana, I came across the Due Torri, which, just like in Pisa, decided to tilt over, albeit in opposite directions.

Piazza Maggiore
Steel cables had been strung to keep them in place. I don't know. There's something a bit scary about standing underneath 2 leaning towers, taking pictures. I do have travel insurance, mind you, but still...

Everywhere I walked in Bologna was just amazing. I had liked Firenze, but I LOVED Bologna. And to think I had hardly found anything about it when planning this trip. It really is a hidden gem.

I walked all over the place, from the Piazza dei Tribunali to the Piazza Verdi, back to the Piazza XX Settembre with its Christmas market and again to the Piazza Maggiore, occasionally stopping for coffee or a bite to eat.

I found this quaint little street leading from the Piazza Maggiore, where there were a few stores selling vegetables, cheese, sausiges and ham. I bought a few things to take home with me.

I didn't have much luck finding a place to eat, since everything for some reason was closed, so against better judgement, I went into a crowded McDonalds and had the most miserable dinner of this whole trip.

Since my feet really hurt now, I went into a night shop, got some beer and retreated to my posh hotel, where I rearanged my luggage and got ready for the trip back home.

Italy has definately left an impression, and I am just aching to get back.

Some day.

Due Torri
Due Torri
Palazzo dAccursio
Palazzo d'Accursio
Palazzo Re Enzo
Palazzo Re Enzo
Bologna Hotels & Accommodations review
A gorgeous hotel in a gorgeous city.
As location goes, this one is pretty convenient. You can find the 4 star Internazionale Hotel on the gorgeous Via Dell Indipendenza, basically the mai… read entire review
533 km (331 miles) traveled