Florence

Florence Travel Blog

Ponte Alla Carraia

Let's forget about day 1 which involved a train to Brussels Airport, a flight to Bologna, a train to Florence and a rather disappointing art fair, and go straight to a day of sight-seeing in beautiful Firenze.

From my hotel, on the Via Nazionale, I walked to the Piazza della Stazione and the Piazza Santa Maria Novella. As always, when I go somewhere, the place was in scaffolding for renovation work.

Somehow I ended up close to the river on Borgo Ognissanti, where I found a beautiful Art Nouveau house. I walked along the river and headed to the Palazzo Strozzi, and then made my way to the Battistero and the Duomo. This early in the morning, there weren't too many tourists yet, which was a bit of a relief. I continued to the Palazzo Nonfinito and the Palazzo dei Pazzi.

I like how Italian sounds, and even though it gives me a headache after being exposed to it for more than 5 minutes, you've got to love how this sounds: Badia Fiorentina, Palazzo del Bargello, Palazzo Borghese, Chiesa di San Firenze and Palazzo Gondi.

Piazza della Repubblica
I walked past all of them.

Back to Piazza San Firenze and west on Via della Condotta, then right on Via dei Magazzini to Via Dante Allighieri. On the right corner is the Torre della Castagna. On the left is the Oratorio di San Martino. Across Via Dante is Casa di Dante.

I turned right on Via Dante and left on Via Santa Margherita to get to the Chiesa di Santa Margherita.

I slowly made my way to the Piazza della Republica, marveling at the city. Everybody had told me how beautiful Florence was, but I had never expected this. It is gorgeous.

I found myself on the Mercato Nuovo, where I browsed the stalls that mainly sold leatherwares

I walked to the Chiesa dei SS Apostoli and the Piazza del Limbo, came across the Chiesa di Santo Stefano and then found myself at the Uffizi.

Mercato Nuovo

It may come as a shock to you that even though I am an artist myself, I don't like visiting art museums. I had told myself that if I got there and the lines weren't too long, I'd go inside. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I'm not sure which, about 2.000 Japanese tourists wanted to get into the place, so I decided to just skip the damn thing.

Instead I headed to the Piazza della Signoria and the Palazzo Vecchio, and then, after a quick stop for a slice of pizza, headed to the Ponte Vecchio, which I thought was absolutely brilliant.

I crossed the bridge and explored the other side of the river, where I found  the Torre dei Marsili and the Torre de’ Belfredelli, before returning to the Ponte Vecchio and continuing to San Niccolo.

Ponte Vecchio

I walked all the way to the tower marking the Porta San Niccolò, with its medieval city gate, and then climbed the hill, where I got a beautiful view of the city.

Who goes up, must eventually come down, so I did. I crossed the Ponte alle Grazie and headed to Piazza Santa Croce, to see Dante's statue, picking up a few gifts along the way.

Still not tired of walking, I went to Piazza di Santissima Annunziata and Piazza San Marco, after which I headed back towards the hotel, but not before exploring the market stalls around the Biblioteca Laurenziana and the Mercato Central.

After consulting with my feet, they said that it was ok to go get some ice cream, but after that, they were calling it a day.

And so was I.

Porta San Niccolo
Porta San Niccolo
View from atop Viale Guiseppe Poggi
View from atop Viale Guiseppe Poggi
Dantes statue at the Piazza Santa…
Dante's statue at the Piazza Sant…
Piazza di Santissima Annunziata
Biblioteca Laurenziana
Palazzo Strozzi
Palazzo Strozzi
Duomo
Museo di Antropologia e Etnologia?
Museo di Antropologia e Etnologia?
Dantes Museum
Dante's Museum
Palazzo Vecchio
Palazzo Vecchio
Florence Hotels & Accommodations review
Afforable little hotel in Florence
You can find hotel Machiavelli Palace on Via Nazionale, about a 5 minute walk from Florence's train station. It is a friendly little maze of a place, … read entire review
533 km (331 miles) traveled