Wow!

Torlundy Travel Blog

We finally arrived at Inverlochy Castle around half three in the afternoon. It's quite an imposing sight to say the least! It is a real old fashioned castle, with gargoyles, ramparts and flags, but not it's a top notch hotel, the likes of which I don't think I've really seen in Scotland.

We dropped the cars in the car park and headed inside - what a beautiful place! We were shown up to our room - Glenfinnan. It was a junior suite, and stunning. We had a huge bathroom, separate toilet, massive bedroom and a little sitting area. The best bit was the laptop and complimentary wireless broadband internet! We unpacked quickly and Mum phoned to announce we were all going for a walk - like we had a choice! We met in Mum and Dad's room - one floor down from us, beside Ronnie and Christine's room. Mum and Dad were in the King's Suite, which was HUGE! It was absolutely gorgeous with views across the lawn, the same as ours, out towards the loch and the hotel's Highland Cows. Ronnie and Christine were in the Prince's Suite which was also amazing.

We walked through the hotel gardens and into the kitchen garden, where many of the hotel's herbs and vegetables are grown, as well as lots of flowers. It was beautiful but a little insect Scots call a Midge (pronounced Midgie) was out and ready to bite - very like mosquitoes! We walked back to the hotel and had a drink and munchies in the lobby, and headed up to our rooms around 5.30pm. Dinner was 7.30 for 8, so we had time to relax a bit! So Mark fell asleep and I went onto TravBuddy! :o)

So Mark and I made it down for drinks around quarter to eight (oops...) and we had more munchies! But dinner - wow! It was divine! I have the menu at home and will put some of it online - we had to phone down our order in the afternoon, because the food is so fresh and made absolutely to order the chefs need to know if they need anything specific from the garden! Dad and I had rhubarb one night and it was cut fresh from the garden that afternoon. But the food was spectacular, amazingly presented, fabulously cooked, and the portions weren't so big we were stuffed - we all had deserts both nights.

After dinner we had coffees in the lounge, and petit fours which I wasn't keen on - a cocoa rolled truffle was very bitter! I gave it to Mark without telling him I didn't like it and his face looked like he'd sucked a lemon! Hee hee...I'm so evil! After dinner Mark, Dad, Ronnie and I played snooker in the most spectacular snooker room I've ever seen! There were stag, elk and moose heads mounted all around the room, along with horns from everything from an Oryx to a little dik-dik.

And from there, it was time for bed - and what a comfy bed it was!

mfmcp1982 says:
Hi rogerrep, yes, the midges go away in the winter - they all die when the weather gets too cold! If it's windy in the summer midges keep out the way - and one of the best deterrents is sitting round a campfire. Unfortunately you then smell of wood smoke instead of having midge bites!!

:o)
Posted on: Sep 22, 2008
sylviandavid says:
What a great place and a great time.... We have teeny little biting things too: we call them, "no-see-em's" Their bite is far worse than a mosquito. Poor Mark... Next time he'll say, no dear...let me feed it to you.... :) What is snooker? sylvia
Posted on: Jul 27, 2008
tvillingmarit says:
You should be ashamed, ending such a nice day being evil, aj aj aj ;o)
Posted on: Jul 27, 2008