Ricks Cafe - West end Negril

Negril Travel Blog

When we first arrived at Ricks

As usual the tour bus arrived late again this afternoon, we had booked an excursion to go shopping and then on to Ricks to see the sunset !

Once we had been picked up by our bus we were taken to a shopping Mall in Negril called Time Square and honestly I have never seen so many Jewellery stores in one place in all my life, once past those stores we Reached a few other shops that had more souvenirs and gifts in them and clothes :). We spent 1hr 10 mins at this shopping mall and by the end of it we hadn't shopped untill we'd dropped but infact just started, one more shopping mall which we spent another hour at and then on to the local craft market and I think I can safely say that this was probably the one and only experience in Jamaica that I wasn't  thrilled about .

Me at Ricks Cafe
..We got constantly hassled by the sellers unless we bought something and this was at every single stall and there must have been about 50 all the way around so after the first 10 we just went back to wait for our bus which took around 15 minutes to come back while waiting we still got hassled as the women came over to us.... but luckily saved by the bus, once on the bus however our moods changed and had been lifted as Bob Marley was blaring out of the sound system and we were on our way to RICKS CAFE.

Ricks Cafe was something I wanted to see even before We arrived in JAMAICA I'd read about it on the internet and thought it sounded like alot of fun, very chilled out !

I was sooo excited .

Info on Ricks - (taken from the website )

source - www.rickscafejamaica.

com

For thirty years the world famous Rick's Cafe has proven an enduring icon on the landscape of Negril, Jamaica. From meager beginnings back in 1974, Rick's Cafe was a small upstart cliffside haunt offering an alternative to Negril's majestic seven-mile beach. For tourists and locals alike, a reality and vibe was soon set in stone. The cliffs boast a magnificently unrivaled view of the Caribbean's most spectacular sunset. Rick's grew into Negril's premier gathering spot and has remained such for over a quarter of a century. Like moths to a , flame, from Rastas to Rolexes, literally millions of our friends have joined us over the years in this most raucously public yet uniquely spritual and personal tradition called Rick�s Cafe.

Some are so moved that they choose to leap off our cliff forty feet above the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea.
The band that were playing After a bit of music
In doing so, they are taking part in something bigger than themselves. If even for a few fleeting moments, with one step, they are joining thirty years of friends who have previously chosen to let the concerns of a life far, far away dissolve into the sea like the setting sun they have all come to worship.

This land is blessed mon. Blessed for sure.

Blessed with the gift of traveling back home with our friends in their memories, pictures, minds and most of all their hearts.

So anyway we arrived at ricks cafe and Shaggy's - Angel was pumping away loudly, the vybe was Eminent! We walked around to check out what was going on... first stop the cliffs as we sailed over we heard a loud SPLASHHH!!!! and looked over the side to see that we had just missed one of the locals dive in so we waited .

My strong drink and mums Red strip
... and then a little bit more .... and finally another guy did a backflip and crashed in to the turqouise water ....wwwwwooooohhh it was great !!!

Next we saw a few of the tourists jump in shamelessly as they cannonballed and bounced off of the cliff with absolutely no skill but definatly a bucket full of courage, then a little tiny splash as a small girl jumped I would say she was about 10 wow if only I was that brave at her age I'd probably be an acrobat by now but alas Im still not as brave as she.

We had a look at the pool but firmly decided that the bar was a better option :) so we ordered one of the ricks specials from the menu called Jamaican me crazy Wow it was strong  there was definatly no absence of rum contrast to London where if you order a drink you get about 2 teaspoonfulls of alcohol.

Sun behind the clouds
We ordered some chicken skewers off of the 'Munchies' menu  which came doused in spicy sauce  I smiled .... suprise suprise !!! I was definatly used to the spice by now. We both absolutely loved Ricks cafe <3 and were very emotional when our tour guide came to get us... it was time to leave :(  he practically had to drag us away from the place and ofcourse we were the last on to the bus.

It wasn't a great day for the sunset at ricks as the clouds were kinda taking over the sky that evening  but we didnt mind as we knew for sure this wasn't going to be our last visit to ricks ... We were in paradise . :) x

manoela28 says:
its moving when some one finds a place they are passionate about
Posted on: Jan 26, 2009
MissPlayboyBunny says:
Awww this is really cool x
Posted on: Jul 04, 2008
Mandy007 says:
I did love Ricks
Posted on: Jul 04, 2008
Mum at Ricks Cafe
Mum at Ricks Cafe
The band that were playing After a…
The band that were playing After …
mum again
mum again
One of the bands that plays at ric…
One of the bands that plays at ri…
The Wildthing catermaran