Culture on da Beach Mon !

Negril Travel Blog

eddie the rasta man

Today turned out to be a whole new experience for me I did something that I have never done on any holiday before or for that matter never done at all but thats partly to do with the fact that London Doesn't have a beach (you'll see what i mean later).

I had a fantastic Morning.  Our new friend 'NINJA' took me to a different part of the beach, this was not a beach for tourists but for the locals and If you knew a local then you could go there and live it up - jamaican style with them... this particular part of the beach was right past the tourist / RIU beach down to the local beach vendors who sold various different items not many tourists were actually on this beach apart from if they knew the vendors were there and were looking for something, anyways it was behind the beach sellers stalls.

the rasta colours

We walked and walked stamping out little sand feet as we went .

I could see a small, dinky open air hut type thing which was made out of nothing more than peices of bamboo and straw with a big circular table in the middle......upon this table was a bag, an ipod station with an ipod inside, a couple boxes a couple beers and some weed.

I could smell the sweet scent of marijuana lingering in the air.

Introductions all round . A sweet old man by the name of Eddie sat alone with his guitar happily strumming away to no one but himself - he seemed to be enjoying the vybez :)

He didnt seem to mind that everyone else was engaged in their own doings and werent listening to him he was in his own little world.

A few yards away a younger man named nicholas sat next to the ipod station changing the tracks as they ended like a world famous Dj.

Ganja Farmer
Felicity - an american woman sat about 5 feet away from us and was chatting to Nicholas whilst bobbing to the left and right in time to the music. A few others were sat at this table aswell chatting and drinking, laughing  and smoking together ... then a friendly brunette comes dancing over to us and introduced herself as Emily whilst packing her tanning oil safely away in her bag which sat on the table in front of us.

Jamal who was nicholas's brother came back over 15 minutes later with 2 freshly cooked fish exclaiming that he'd only just caught them and cooked for us he also served us vegetables and rice witha bottle of red stripe. No money required for an old friend (ninja im guessing) haha.

I heaved slightly as he put the fish eye in to his mouth, Now that was something i had never been able to do 'eat a fish eye' eww it grossed me out .

Plantation

Makko, paul and eddie(from earlyer) - the three rasta men that I met that morning who brang with them to the beach nothing but happiness, peace, CD'S and a little insight into the rastafarian faith/religion.

Things I learnt this morning

What the Rasta's taught me !

Ikusegham ........  is a word the Rastafarians love because it means 'Peace is better than war'   apparently.

paul informed me that Jah rastafari was their God most people just say 'Jah' , and that he is seen as part of the holy trinity.

jah =   Haile Selassie I - He used to be the emperor of etheopia, now seen as God incarnate or 'jah'  many of them beleive that he is the 'MESSIAH RETURNED TO EARTH'

rastafari comes from the word Ras which i think he said meant head or something - but couldnt be too sure.

this is makko

The rasta's have their own special diet (most but not all stick to it).

James Peregrine Howell - The first man to ever become a 'rasta'' so he is named ''the first rasta''

I still was not too sure as to what rastafari meant and shumba explained to me that basically it is a movement of mainly black people who know and accept that Africa is the birthplace off all mankind.

the reason rastas wear dreads is because their faith  prohibits the shaving and / or combing of hair. It is also in their holy vows

why do the rastas smoke ganja .... makko laughed a bit when i asked this question his reply was ''it is de holy 'erb mon!, It a  inna de bible'' (exact worlds) translated  they use it because it is a Holy Herb mentioned in the bible and it also states that we should 'use every herb of the land'

it is a healing herb. and the rastas use it for religious reasons hehe! Ganja - 'Healing of all nations'

I was very insightfull that morning and was more than a little interested in the rasta faith so I asked why the rasta flag had red in it when the jamaican flag does not. what do the colours stand for  ''red  fi de blood''  he says -- which means the red in the flag symbolizes the blood.************************yellow ???? ''stolen gold'' my facial expression changes and his reply to this was ''ye man'' so what about the green ??? it  ''loss lands of africa, but we jus say de ganja, de 'erb''  -- the lost lands of africa was its original meaning but apparently alot of rasta men now just say the ganja or the herb.

Negril