' 9 mile ' - Reggae and culture tour

Nine Mile Travel Blog

the outside of 9 mile

''Nine Mile, a quaint little place in the beautiful mountains of St. Ann. This is where the legendary "King of Reggae", Bob Marley was born on February 6th 1945, this is the very same place he was later laid to rest. ''

The pick - up time on our tour voucher said 7:50AM, however the time that the bus actually arrived at our hotel was nearer 9'0'clock, at half 8 we were getting a tiny bit worried that we had either missed it or it wasnt coming but a nice Jamaican lady working for another tour company assured us that there were no problems and that our company were just '' running on Jamaican time''  lol   Island time ? - a slower pace of life im guessing :)

So when the bus finally arrives we realise that we are not the only ones on the tour but infact the other 5 people we had been chatting to while waiting for our bus were coming with us !

As we board the bus we are told that it would be approx 3HRS to our destination, it was an easy journey and went faster than I expected, when we reached 9 mile the first thing i saw were Big Purple gates.

..next thing i saw was probably just about the most amount of ganja i have ever seen in my life, it was like a tree  :) when i went over to have a look at it, It moved ! There was a tiny little hand attatched to the bottom of it someone was pushing it under a little gap beneath the gate.

Once we were well and truely inside We came to discover tht everything was IRIE ! We found loads of Bob Marley Stuff and then we went in a little further and it was like a little museum so after ''photo - time '' in the museum bit we strolled out the other side ... this is where we bumped in to our guide for the day  his name was ''Captain Crazy'' and do you know what he really was!

before the tour got started we bumped in to an old man sitting on the corner of a stage and he started playing songs for the whole group .

Captain crazy and our one love singsong
..encouraged immensely by CAPTAIN CRAZY absolutly EVERYONE joined in so there we were on this gorgeous sunny day with about 40 people all singing along and dancing to BOB MARLEY - ONE LOVE  it was such a refreshing experience it felt good to aknowledge all his years of singin finally !

INFO - Robert Nesta Marley was born on the 6th of February 1945 in the Saint Ann Parish of Jamaica. His father Norval Sinclair Marley was a white man in his 50s and his mother Cedella Booker was a black woman who was 18 years old. Due to this, he suffered a lot of racial prejudice in his childhood. Although his father provided the family with financial support, he was away most of the time on his work related trips. Bob Marley was ten years old when his father died.

BOB LIVES - captain crazy told us that the rastafarians made this as they beleive bob still lives thru his music

First stop - The Birth place of Mr Bob Marley our guide informed us that he only lived in this same house for 5/6 days, then his mother took him to live in another small house just up the hill, which we went to visit ...  Once outside the house we had a little sing song before entering !!

Rumour - apparently if a woman touches the bed in this house then she will have twins, lol I do'nt know how true it is but either way i was reluctant to touch a bed with a myth attatched to it ... none the less crazy practically dragged me back to the bed and placed my hand on the pillow AAHHHHHHHH lol.

After having a bit more of a look around at some interesting Bob facts and things including where bob used to cook his meals which was mentioned in the song no woman , no cry  qoute - ''we would cook cornmeal porridge of which I share with you.

''

the next thing Crazy did was plonk down  on to the floor whilst wondering what he was doing i slowly came to realise that we were on ''mount zion rock '' crazy informed us that this is where Mr Marley would come to to get away from it all to meditate and rest his head on '' the pillow'' made famous in the song ''talking blues''

Quote -

''Cold ground was my bed (bed last night),
Rockstone - rockstone - rockstone was my pillow;
Cold ground was my bed last night (bed last night),
And rock was my pillow, too.''

Crazy actually laid down his head on the rock and gave us some more information on Bobs childhood.

the stove :)

Next he sat up on the rock and started singing ''Excuse me while I light my spliff''  and of course everyone joined in............ Excuse me while i light my spliff,  Good God, I gotta take a lift: (lift)
From reality I just can't drift; (drift)
That's why I am staying with this riff. (riff)''

Easy skankin - love dat song !!!!  so as he was singing this song he made his fingers in to the shape they would be had he been smoking a spliff and started miming smoking one. Then told us he wanted one but couldnt while on the job however he said we were free to smoke it if we liked .... AAAHHH *SHOCKED FACE*  he then said '' ohhh and if you see a police officer walking around while ur smoking it ....ASK HIM FOR A LIGHT'' lmao    :) he said that they would probably have bottles of rum hidden in thier jackets anyways .

REAL TING !

next stop - Bob marley's mothers grave  who only died a few months ago and before that she would come up and interact with the tourists and share stories about bob  :(.

last stop - Bob's grave . We all went in to a room (half at a time) where bobs grave was the room  was lighted with candles and rememberals of bob, Our guide had become a little more serious at this point  afterall there wasnt much to joke about i even think i saw a tear roll down his cheeck :( as we stood at bobs grave ... we werent allowed to take pictures but it really was spectacular even i felt like crying.

Bob Marley died on the 11th of May- 1981 at Cedars of Lebanon Hospital in Miami, Florida. He was 36. His final words to his son Ziggy were ‘Money can’t buy life’. As per his wishes, he was buried with his guitar, a soccer ball, a marijuana bud, a ring given to him by the Prince Asfa Wossen of Ethiopia and a Bible.

''the infamous BED''

Our guide told us that Bob's body has been preserved so that any time his mother or uncle or brothers wanted to see him they could !

after the tour we sat at a small bar for refreshment and then to the gift shop...wopw their was sooooooo much i wanted everything lol but in the end i got a bob marley tshirt and a jamaica wristband for myself and one for my mum !

On the way back to the hotel we stopped for lunch which was pretty tasty - jerk chicken and some dougnuts and then carried on with our journey back to negril .....1hr...... 2hrs.....  next we had a little break   Reststop and a rainbow  .... lovely back at the hotel we just about sat all the way thru dinner before we were snoring away in our beds.

gimpel says:
great blog,must be heaven for reggae lovers to be there.
Posted on: Feb 03, 2009
GlamNat says:
coool pix bbz
Posted on: Jan 26, 2009
the outside of 9 mile
Captain crazy and our one love sin…
Captain crazy and our one love si…
BOB LIVES - captain crazy told us …
BOB LIVES - captain crazy told us…
the infamous BED
''the infamous BED''
rest stop on the way to 9 mile
rest stop on the way to 9 mile
purple gates
purple gates
walking up the hill
walking up the hill
captain crazy talking to a little …
captain crazy talking to a little…
mum captain crazy and me