Prairie Dog Town

Lubbock Travel Blog

I went to Prairie Dog Town a few days ago, went twice as it was raining one time but thought I would show you these little critters.  They once were almost extinct but C.N. Clapp captured two of the black tailed type and made a safe haven for them.  At one time Prairie Dog Town was very well known in the States and the World, even today it remains Lubbock's 5th most visited spot by tourist.

Just a few years ago it was re-constructed to be more human friendly with even a nice cover.  Although you can see several Prairie Dogs here you really cannot get that close to them, even with my 300 zoom lens to get a really good shot.  So how do you get a better shot? Nope did not jump the wall (others were watching lol).

Fallen Hero!
  But let me tell you this first.

Ok, what I am about to tell you is Classified! yep Secret, I had a Secret clearance while in the Navy and used it and one time I was just looking around on the Sipernet, a classified internet with only Secret stuff on it.  Ok, found no alien stuff (then again I did not have a Top Secret Clearance either :0). But I did find something from my very hometown.  From this very small Prairie Dog Town in fact!  These little critters have breached the walls more than once and they have invaded various parts of Lubbock and surrounding towns, ranches and farms too.

Well, now keep this quiet or we will both be in trouble. The U.S. Army took some and trained them in special operations and sent 10,000 to Afghanistan to find and kill Osama Bin Laden.

Well, unfortunately you can figure out the rest of the story, they were gaining ground but were captured by the terrorist and eaten.  Sad, very Sad..  I only have one photo of a brave warrior. RIP.

Ok, back to how I got better photos of them by going to various places in town that they have invaded.  I went to the East side and got close even took a few photos of their holes once they jumped in them. But still not close enough so went to yet another spot and got close enough the zoom lens could reach out and touch them.

They have a warning sound like a high pitched bark, telling those in the holes "Trouble is coming".  This big fat one seemed not to care, although he ran to another hole he just laid on it instead of going in, while others sounded the warning.  Well after awhile I left these critters alone and road off into the sunset.

kingsheart says:
Hum…..I like it…think I will email Animal Planet tonight!
acowboy says:
No matter what anyone else says, i like it... = )
lonlee2 says:
Dave, I think they need their own show on animal planet, like Meerkat Manor. What do you think?
Fallen Hero!
The big one I told you about!
The big one I told you about!
Lubbock Sights & Attractions review
Prairie Dog Town
Prairie Dog Town is unique to visit and if your in Lubbock I would recommend stopping by and seeing these furry critters. This town was created by K… read entire review