Tuesday

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Arthur's Seat

for reasons that I won't go into, I was at a loose end in the west end today, so I decieded to go to the Dean Gallery.  This meant walking around the lovely Water of Leith again, so I was happy.  People in Edinburgh say good morning, too, so I got to pat several dogs on the way.

The exhibition in the Dean wasn't quite my thing - I'm not that into central european dadaist photography, believe it or not, it's one of my few cultural blind spots.  So having wandered into the city centre, I called Chris and nagged him into climbing Arthur's Seat.

Arthur's Seat was the great hangover cure of my university career.  Trust me.  By the time you've hauled yourself, shivering and head pounding, to the top of the hill, the acohol gives up its evil hold.

Holy well at St Anthony's Chapel
  It worked for us, anyway, aside from the fact there was always some ancient person of about 85 jogging up the steep side like it wasn't even a slope.  That person is fit.  I need to start training now so I can do that when I'm 80 too!  And I figured that it would be a good way to spend a sunny day whatever happened.  WHen I get my computer working there are some great photos of Chris trying to look heroic.  Bless!  I even got a little sunburned.  After that, we went to the Sheep's Heid in Duddingston, which might not be spelled like that (the pub's right, I'm less sure about the village...) which is one of the best pubs ever, and has a traditional skittle alley round the back.

Then we went home and took the mickey out of each others taste in exes for a while, as is of course traditional by now.  I've known Chris a very long time!

sarahelaine says:
That's how they ought to be heard, yes - drifting over the hills. They were necver designed to be heard from three feet away whilst half a dozen tourists take photos, and there's sooo much more to the tradition than the two songs they always play on Princes Street!
Posted on: Jul 14, 2008
londonstudent says:
The only time I've ever been on (up? over? they all sound indecent) Arthur's Seat there was a pipers' gathering in the fields below, so the skirl of the pipes came wafting up as we sat by the triangulation whatsit and surveyed the scene. I've never been the greatest fan of the pipes, but up there it was wonderful! And fortunately I managed to suss out how the video on the camera worked, so as to catch a little of it :)
Posted on: Jul 14, 2008