Along the Moesel, from Beilstein to Trier

Trier Travel Blog

Traben-Trarbach

Breakfast at the hotel was nice but a bit lonely, being the only people alive in Brutig. Well, we and the hotel owner that is. So we packed up, got in the car and started driving.

We passed Beilstein again and crossed the river a couple of times. It was a pleasant drive and there was no need to use the GPS as the river was always within view.

Our first stop was Traben-Trarbach, where we parked near the river and then walked across the bridge again to visit the old city center. Occasionally, the sun came out, but when it started raining more heavely, we made our way back to the car and drove on.

Bernkastel was a little bigger and a lot busier. It actually had tourists, and shops that were open. It was also very pretty. The reason we had stopped there was that the white wine Isabelle and I like so much comes from this little town.

Trier, Porta Nigra
We had lunch, walked around, took shelter from the rain and had a coffee or 2.

Some time later, we arrived in Trier, which was the end of the peacefull drive as this is a big and bustling city. We parked in the city center in an actual parking garage and walked into town. Again, the market square was pretty and some of the churches were impressive. At a certain point in time, I spotted what I thought to be a mob of penguins heading our way. As it turned out, it was a flock of nuns. I never knew there were still so many nuns in the world. Why had they all headed to Trier? Well, apparently, there was some kind of religious festival going on.

Now, I can tell you one thing about nuns. Never stand between a nun and her apfelstrüdel. They can be vicious. We found that out the hard way.

What Trier however is most famous for is for being the oldest city in Germany. It was founded by the Romans and they left a few things behind when they buggered off. One of these being the Porta Nigra, which, I may add, is very impressive.

Rain was being a spoil sport, so we had to cut our visit short and start on the 3 hour drive back home. But it was fun, and we agreed to come back some time and maybe then explore the other side of the river, from Cochem to Koblenz.

Some day...

rotorhead85 says:
That would be a nice river for a 2-3 day kayak trip - maybe in summer when the nuns have fled and streets stir.
Posted on: Feb 25, 2010