Cochem & Beilstein

Cochem Travel Blog

Cochem Castle

After spending 2 days in Düsseldorf, setting up a group exhibition, my girlfriend and I headed south to the Moesel region. For years, this has been my parents' favorite holiday destination (especially the little town of Beilstein) so we decided to go check it out.

Since we didn't have the time to do the whole stretch from Koblenz to Trier, and Cochem was easiest to get to from Düsseldorf, we figured we'd start there.

Driving the curvy roads into Cochem took some adjusting after the almost straight as an arrow stretch of Autobahn. I also had to do my best to evade mad motorcyclists and some idiot with his caravan.

Brutig
So it came as quite a surprise when we found ourself driving across the bridge to the wrong side of Cochem.

When I parked the car, it became clear that yes, we were on the wrong side of the river, but we did have the most amazing view from up here, with the castle high up on the hill across the Moesel.

Scouting the riverbank for a place to park closer to town proved unsuccesfull, so we walked and crossed the bridge on foot. We had a small snack for lunch in the city center, close to the market square and for a brief moment considered walking all the way up the hill to the castle.

Luckily, sanity kicked in at that moment and we walked back to the car and drove west to the little hamlet of Brutig, where we had booked a hotel.

As it turned out, we were the only guests, it being this early in the season.

Metternich Castle, Beilstein
We went for a little walk through town and found ourselves back at the hotel after 10 minutes, looking quite perplexed at having pretty much covered the whole of Brutig in that time.

So we drove to Beilstein.

It's called the 'Sleeping Beauty' of the Moesel and it sure as Hell is pretty there. I can understand now why my folks like it so much. You have your medieval town square, many restaurants and wine merchants. And you have the ruins of Castle Metternich, high up on the mountain.

Now since we had chickened out in Cochem and I would never hear the last of it when I got home, we decided to climb up the hill and visit the damn thing. Now it took some effort and at a certain point I feared my lovely girlfriend was going to either leave me or kill me for draging her up here (which is why I made sure I was at least 3 meters ahead of her at all time and was in the posession of the car keys) but our labour was rewarded by a fine view across the valley and a cafeteria which thank god was open.

After some time, we went back down, bought some wine and had dinner in a restaurant, where again, we were the only guests.

When it started getting dark, we drove back to our hotel in Brutig, hoping there would be something nice on the telly.

Metternich Castle, Beilstein
View from Metternich Castle, Beils…
View from Metternich Castle, Beil…
Metternich Castle, Beilstein
View from Metternich Castle, Beils…
View from Metternich Castle, Beil…
Beilstein, Market Square