Kalibo a week after...

Kalibo Travel Blog

Typhoon Frank last June 21, was one, if not the worst storm to hit the Western Visayas region in the Philippines. Of the Visayan islands, Panay garnered the biggest damage in terms of infrastructure and mortalities. I having lived in Iloilo City all my life have personally never experienced a calamity of such scale. Waters from nearby mountains carried tons and tons of slate to the city, submerging 95% of the entire city.
My boyfriend and I got invited to a wedding in Boracay Island last June 28, and i decided to go as i was too interested to see how the paradise island looked like a week after the storm. The minute we approached Kalibo, Aklan (a province in Panay Island) some portions of the highway were now a "one way street", as fallen electricity posts now occupied the other way.
Upon reching the town center, one can easily wonder how long can this small town ever restore its original peacefulness. Mud was still an ankle deep in most streets, and flooded cars lined every block. The locals here including my boyfriend's family were all busy still scrubbing out their walls, flushing their floors (water system just got restored 2 days ago!) and washing their mud-soaked clothes. At this time only 1 major grocery store in the entire town, causing people to stampede onto the grocery section the minute it opened 2 days ago. We left Kalibo after Joeram checked on his family and soon after the short drive to Caticlan, we were once again in Boracay. A week ago, at the height of the storm, this paradise island was to be a horrific beach escapade for the foreigners. Electricity and water supplies were completely shut off and the white beach littered with tree branches and dead leaves. Now, it's once again spotless as though Frank never hit. The sun was up high and waters calm despite the 'Habagat'(southern winds).
mabby says:
That's the Fil spirit! ;)
Posted on: Jul 25, 2010
baliw-katok says:
Shocking pictures. And still Filipino's keep on smiling ! I salute them !
Posted on: Jul 25, 2010