First day in Sweden

Stockholm Travel Blog

Ship where we came to Stockholm

My first trip to Sweden! (I have been couple times in Haparanda, but I haven't ever counted that..) And my first trip to foreign country too. We did arrive to Stockholm by ship from Helsinki. It was my first time in ship too, so lots of first times in one day. :) Me and my friend were a bit excited and stopped to the exit corridor (or what it is called?) to take pictures of the ship and acted like tourists, but we WERE tourists so I don't think there were anything bad in that. After we had get into our car (which my dad had drive out of the ship) we were suppose to drive to Gröna Lund, which is amusement park in Stockholm.

Gröna Lund
I had asked from my school friend, who lived in Stockholm earlier, that where it is and she said that it is almost next to the harbour. Well, we did drive around looking for Gröna Lund about an hour. Then we finded a gas station and stopped to buy a map. This is maybe my friends most memorable travel experience: My friend who has studied Swedish tried to ask for a map. Salesman in gas station seemed to not understand what my friend meant when she said that we want "bil karta" (Swedish for car map). She tried to make him understand couple minutes before my dad said that we want auto-kartta (Finnish for car map) and salesman seemed to understand THAT and brings us the map what we were looking for. My friend still moans about that situation.

From map we noticed that there where two harbours in Stockholm and my school friend had talked about the other one.

One ride in Gröna Lund
So we drive there and Gröna Lund was just where she had told me it is. The park was a bit disappointment. There were almost none of things to us to do and we spented there only hour or two. There weren't so many rides and the ones there were were younger kids or were too wild for me (If I go to those rides which takes people upside down, I start feeling like I'm going to vomit and that feeling stays whole day. I don't see any point of me to spoil my day by vomiting..). We tried couple rides, but the most had REALLY long lines. My friend wanted to try one rollercoaster, but because of long line I decided that I would rather go sit somewhere (we had walked already a long time) and wait for my friend. I sitted on place where I could see roller coaster and I waited OVER HOUR before I saw my friend in it.
Funny sign
I forget to ask if it was worth of standing in line for a hour. That waiting made us tired of the park and soon we decided to leave.

We had booked a room in hotel in Norrköping, which is about 2 hours from Stockholm. While we were driving there I saw one sign which I thought was really funny. There readed two names of some places and they were called Hölö and Mörkö. Hölö means in Finland a person who talks a lot and mostly nothing important. Mörkö means a spook. When we finally gotted to our hotel it was a bit late already and it was closed! We rang the bell, but nobody didn't come and reception was empty and lights were off. One point two people did go in there and they letted us in too. We looked for receptionist, but there were no-one. But I saw something else there, cockroaches! What kind of hotel was it?! We tried to find another hotel, but all of them where full or too expensive to our budget. So we did drive to Kolmården where we were suppose to go next day and tried to find room in hotel there, but everywhere was full. Only chance to sleep was to park our car in parking place of Kolmården Zoo (where we were going next day) and sleep in car! One of the worsest nights of my life: try to sleep in small front seat while my dad is snoring on other front seat and it's raining. I was really happy when morning came.

Funny coloured road