London

London Travel Blog

In front of Big Ben

My first stop on my journey through Europe was London.  I only spent three days there than it was off to Greece.  My stay in London was okay.  Growing up in Houston I thought I knew what it was like to live in a busy city and how to deal with traffic.  I thought us Houstonians had it all figured out when it came to knowing how to navigate around a complex highway and downtown street system, and how to weeve in and out of traffic...oh how those from London have put me to shame.  I don't think I saw a street that wasn't a parking lot full of traffic that moved slower than 30 to 40 miles an hour.  There was no stop and go traffic here.  Even though the streets were packed, the speed never slowed.  London is a fast paced city and this shows not only on the roads, but with the pedestrian life as well.  There are inventions called escalators that are supposed to make it less stressful on one's legs when moving up in a building.  You know, stand on the step and let technology do the work to get you to the top, again, not so with London.  You know how the moving belts at the big airports say stand left and walk right, well, this was the unspoken law in London.  If you were going to use an escalator, and wanted to stand, you had better stay to the right, cause those on the left would run you over without hesitation.  ha.  To me this sort of defeated the purpose of an escalator however it did prove to get me to the top faster.  London was a fun city.  There were countless cafe's and hangouts that made it a fun social city.  The people were nice, and everyone I ran into was perfectly willing to offer me help in finding my way around.  The food, I can't do cartwheels over.  I'm sorry, but this wasn't my favorite country to dine in.

I enjoyed the many sites in London.  Buckingham Palace, London Bridge, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, etc. etc....These are all sites and structures that I have either read about or seen in movies.  It was a new experience to be able to physically stand in front of them and say I got to see it in person.  I was extra fortunate because when I showed up at Buckingham palace, I was right in time for the changing of the guard, which was a major event!  Over all my stay in London was a great time and I would definitely return there for another visit.

14,959 km (9,295 miles) traveled