International roadtrip

Perrault Falls Travel Blog

June 20-21st

Spent the day packing and relaxing.  We are going to be leaving at 6:00pm.  That way when we cross the Canadian border at International Falls in Minnesota it will be 2:00am and there will hopefully be no line and we can go right through.  In the past they have gone and spent hours waiting in line at the boarder.  So of course while we are waiting by brother-in-law Charlie went fishing (the next week in Canada wont be enough.  He'll also go fishing the day after we return).  As we left the Midwest I got a better view of the recent flooding that had been closing down main highways and towns the past few weeks.  Interstate 94 going from Milwaukee to Madison was just recently reopened.

As we crossed a bridge over the Rock River and Crawfish River the water level was so high it was touching the Iron beams that support the bridge.  Its hard to imagine a week earlier when it was closed the water was probably over the bridge.

Well we have left southern Wisconsin, my old home and were making the 13 hour drive.  The highlights include playing wheel of fortune, seeing a couple moose in Canada and our arrival at Perrault Falls.  The wheel of fortune game made all of our stops interesting.  On one of the wheels we drew with a marker 5 numbers (there were 5 of us in the truck) and divided the wheel with them evenly.  Plus we drew a single line above the wheel that would not move during the trip.

cleaning the fish for dinner. A good harvest.
  Anytime we stopped and turned off the engine (gas fill ups) we would see who's number was closest to the line, and that person would receive $1 from every person in the car.  It was great I earned $10 on the way up, and only lost $2.

We pulled into Perrault Falls around 7:30am.  The camp we stayed at was Gawley's Parkview Camp right on Lake Wabaskang. Perfect time to get the boat in the water and start fishing before the other group from Minnesota we were going to be fishing in arrived.  Of course I was with Charlie who had been up the past 3 years and his Dad in another boat has been up to Gawley's since he was 17 years old.  So they had some experience and know where the fish are going to be.  And on this first day I thought I caught what was going to be one of the biggest fish of the trip, my 35 inch Northern Pike (Jack as the Canadians called it).  Looked real good, or course that big we returned it to the water to live another day, other fish were not as lucky and we had enough walleyes to feed all 9 of us that night.

My 35 inch Pike
cleaning the fish for dinner.  A g…
cleaning the fish for dinner. A …
Perrault Falls