White Cross

Geneva Travel Blog

White cross and clocks. Lake Leman feeding the Rhone

Some time in the middle of the night I gave up trying to get to sleep on the cold hard marble floor of the Lyon train station and boarded my train to the country of my heritage.  I was excited.  I had no money and I knew it would be expensive but I couldn't return to the UK when I was this close in case I never got back here.  I loaded as many of the costs onto my credit card as I could allowing me to get myself about with minimal stress.

One of the things I had been a little worried about was the Compulsory Military Training that all young Swiss men my age must do.
  Obviously being the holder of a passport meant I was as Swiss as you could get but I also had a card that I had to hand over with my passport that exempted me from my military obligations due to my being a Kiwi.  The thing that made me a little uneasy was that the card was written in the 4 languages used in Switzerland but was not written in English.  I really had no idea what it said and as I passed both documents to the border control I wondered if I would be taken straight out the back to be measured for my uniform.  I already had a Swiss Army Knife and I figured that was good enough for me!
Fortunately it seemed I had been given the right info about the card and I was free to go about my exploration without the expectancy of being called to arms.

This was all at the border crossing as I headed to my first stop, Geneva.

Geneva was a nice enough place.  I had arrived early so I wandered about the centre after getting off the train.  People were just starting to open shops and offices.  I bought some pastries for breakfast and wandered along the lakefront past the United Nations building where I enjoyed the morning sun and the impressive water jet shooting high into the air just off the shore of the lake.

White cross and clocks.  Lake Lema…
White cross and clocks. Lake Lem…
Geneva