What next?

Pilning Travel Blog

Thinking 'bout the future

It was great being back in Pilning.  I came back from my West Europe tour with 40 rolls of film and I was keen to check out the results.

One of the problems was cashflow.  I'd been having such a great time over the past 4 months that I hadn't given money a second thought.  I had plenty to move around the accounts and as long as that could be done I didn't stress.  Trouble was I now had to make some hard decisions about what I'd be surviving on if I was going to stay in UK for the next 8 months as planned.
  It was cool hanging here at the garage as I had no rent to pay in the garage.  I was still doing a bit of work around the place; painting etc that was earning me some good beer money but that had no real future.
  I decided to head on up to the supermarket and see a man about a job.

I always had trouble staying within the lines when I coloured

My first job out of school was in a 1 Hour photo shop.  There was one in the supermarket so I arranged to chat to the boss there.  First thing I did was ask for a discount on the processing of my 40 rolls of film.  I then asked him if he had a place for me.
  He was pretty excited about having me behind the counter and it seemed I could earn some reasonable cash after all.  I wasn't too thrilled about the prospect though and the travel into the store from Pilning was going to be a pain every day.
  In the end I turned it down, opting instead to seek a job as a bouncer with a Bristol company who contracted to various licensed premises.

Tony had put me onto the boss of the company and he told me where I was to be and who I'd be meeting there on my first night.
More painting around the garage

First thing I had to do was get some kit.  Tie, black trousers and white shirt.  The boss gave me a blazer until I had the cash to get my own.  I rocked up to The Mall pub in Clifton that Friday night thanks to a lift in from Tony and there I met up with Richard, my fellow doorman.
  I was reminded of two things;  firstly the song "Monkeyman" by my favourite ska band The Specials; and secondly, I had auditioned for a part in the play "Bouncers" before I left New Zealand.  I missed out on the part because the director thought I wasn't the right build.  I wrote to him about my new job so he knew of the error he'd made.

The company employed a number of doormen and women which meant they didn't have too much work for me.
More Pilning/Severn Beach sights
  I hadn't proved myself to the boss yet, even though I'd been a cop for 8 years in NZ.  Fortunately it was good money and I still lived out at Pilning so could handle it when I only had the Friday and the Saturday to do that first week.
  The next week the boss rang and said he could only give me the Saturday night.  That was not too good!

During my standing outside the door on my first night the pub manageress had come out and chatted to me.  Her name was Nicole.  She was a nice enough woman and was quite interested in all my travel plans, experiences and my policing career.  During our discussion I told her I needed a more regular job and wouldn't mind working in a pub.

A couple of days after my boss had rung and told me I would only have one night to do in my second week Nicole rang and asked me if I was serious about working in a pub.
The Mall Pub, Clifton, Bristol
  She asked me to come in and see her about a job so I was surprised at our meeting when she offered me the position of Assistant Manager.  I'd never worked in a pub before (unless knocking back pints is considered hard graft) and the job came with accommodation and one free meal during work.
  I grabbed it with both hands!  How's that for promotion?  From Doorman to Management in 8 days!!

On the Saturday night I broke the news to my boss that I couldn't survive on the occasional door job.  He paid me for my night's work.
  The following week I was paying him.

Thinking bout the future
Thinking 'bout the future
I always had trouble staying withi…
I always had trouble staying with…
Still money and time to play