Over the bridge was Welsh history

Chepstow Travel Blog

Carpark too noisy to sleep.

Another place we visited regularly (because it was over the Severn Bridge for the village) was the Welsh town of Chepstow.  Chepstow has a great castle overlooking the river.

One night Darryn and I went into the town and hit a couple of the pubs.  We played dominoes and drank far too many pints of the local brew before we stumbled back to Doris at closing.  We decided to sleep the night there as driving was out of the question and the good thing about having a house on wheels is that it really doesn't matter if you can't drive home -home is where you park it!

We slept soundly but the next morning we were awoken by the sound of people moving around the van, rather noisily, and found they were busy setting up a market in the carpark we'd stopped in.

Chepstow Castle
  I think they were a little surprised when the two of us fell out of the van looking hung over and hungry.

We decided to check out the castle before we headed back over the Severn for brunch.  Chepstow castle is the first that I had visited and I must say I was deeply struck by the feeling of it's age and history as we wandered about within the ruins.

There is still plenty to see of the old structure and as we moved about the "kitchen" I knew that even as hungry as I was I doubt I be too keen to eat anything that came out of here.
Right beside the food prep area is a couple of holes in the wall that hang out over the river below.  The design of the opening made it clear that not only food scraps were "dumped" out of it onto any unfortunate marauders that my have parked their ships below.

There were plenty of people picnicing on the grassy areas inside and outside the walls.  It was a lovely day and I thoroughly enjoyed clambering over the ancient structure.  Definately a summer castle though, as I believe that it would have been pretty cold even in the days that it had a proper roof.

After our exploration we returned to Doris to find the market had all but finished and we were able to make good our departure.  Back to England and some food!

Castle ruins.
Castle ruins.
View from the ramparts
View from the ramparts
Chepstow terraces from the castle.
Chepstow terraces from the castle.
Chepstow