Chaplin and Chocolate

Vevey Travel Blog

Swissfeet on the upper deck

I had decided that I would travel on ferries as often as I could so I picked a route around the country that would allow this where-ever possible.  I would obviously get plenty of train travel too, going from lake to lake.

After a couple of hours in Geneva I decided to head out of the city and find a more provincial spot to stay.  Being the jazz fan that I am I decided on heading to Montreux at the opposite end of Lac Leman.

The ferry ride was fabulous.  The weather was great and the fact I'd gone without sleep for the night meant I was in a state of easy, half-awareness.

We chugged nicely across the lake stopping in at the many wharfs to pick up or drop passengers.

Enjoying the summer
  I returned many waves from shore as we passed children enjoying their holidays.

When I reached Montreux there was no room for me at the inn so I was directed back to Vevey by bus.  My accommodation was to be a B&B with an association to YHA.
Upon my arrival I was shown to a room by my friendly host and then I wandered down to the lake front to enjoy an afternoon of writing about the world as it passed me by.

I spent the afternoon lazing on the beach watching children jumping off the pier into the blue water.  I couldn't help but sketch the scene and pen a few lines.  I enjoyed it so much there I decided to stay another night.

Vevey is a lovely little town that has two things of international interest.
Charlie's statue on the shore of Lac Leman
  Here is the headquarters of the Nestle chocolate empire and it is the resting place of screen legend Charlie Chaplin.

You can visit the Nestle factory if you wish but I didn't do that.  I chose to wander the town and observe everyone going about their business.
There are a few lovely statues along the green span fronting the lake, one of these is of Chaplin.  All of them are well looked after and I was pleased to know the town put so much effort into keeping the place and the attractions in fine repair.

Again I found myself visiting the local cemetary.  I thought I may be able to find where Chaplin was buried but even though everything was laid out beautifully I didn't find it.
  I was however, facinated by the style of their burial plots.  Each beautifully tendered with either a small tree or rose growing, or an animal statue in front of the headstone.  So unlike the cut flowers that we bring to lay at the headstones of our loved ones.
I thought this was a very nice idea and each row of graves was laid out in the expected "Swiss precision".

Enjoying the summer
Charlies statue on the shore of L…
Charlie's statue on the shore of …
Another Vevey statue
Another Vevey statue
Friendly waves at every stop
Friendly waves at every stop
Lovely and quiet with great views …
Lovely and quiet with great views…
photo by: Vikram