Monschau Travel Blog› entry 1 of 4 › view all entries
Get our cool box in the car with couple of bottles of drinks, sandwiches and chips for along the way.
We arrived Monschau around 5plus in the evening hours and we had a short walk around the place after our dinner.
The town is located in the hills of the
The historic town center was not destroyed in World War II, thus the many half-timbered houses and narrow streets nearly unchanged for 300 years make it a popular tourist attraction nowadays. Historically the main industry of the town were cloth-mills.
Above the city is the castle Monschau, which dates back to the 13th century — in 1198 the first mention of Monschau was made. Starting in 1433 the castle was used as a seat of the dukes of Jülich. In 1543 Emperor Charles V. besieged it as part of the Geldern Feud, captured it and plundered the town. However the castle stayed with Jülich until 1609, then it became part of Palatinate-Neuburg.
In 1795 the French captured the area, and under the
name Montjoie made it the capital of a canton of the Roer département. After
the area became part of the
In 1972 the town was enlarged with the previous independent municipalities Höfen, Imgenbroich, Kalterherberg, Konzen, Mützenich and Rohren.