Transit in LA

Los Angeles Travel Blog

First view of New Zealand

We arrived at LA about 2.25am UK time, so I was pretty knackered - I'm normally in bed asleep by 10pm every night (unless I'm out boozing!)  However me being so tired meant that my plan of sleeping all the way from LA to Christchurch was going to work!  We had to go through security to get to the transit lounge which was a bit of a chore... but meant I got an extra stamp in my passport WOOHOO!

The transit lounge was fairly dull... not a whole lot I can say about it really!  There was a snack bar where you could get crisps and fruit and tons of coffee - just in case I felt the need to stay awake!

After an hour or so we were boarded back onto the plane.  It was busier than the journey from London to LA and the people getting on the plane were on LA time, not crazy London time, but nothing was going to keep me from sleeping!  It seemed to take forever for the plane to take off and for the seatbelt light to go off, but once that light went off I was immediately out of my seat and putting the bed down.

First view of New Zealand
  I have to admit, this was one of the things that I was looking forward to most... sleeping on a plane on a proper 'bed'  Basically you press a button and the back of the chair comes forward and connects to the foot rest giving you a over 6' fully flat bed... pure heaven.

The stewardess came to help me and told me they would be serving dinner in less than an hour...  I politely told her that I had other plans... and those plans invoved sleeping for 12 hours!  Once my head hit the pillow I was asleep... nothing was waking me up, even the really bad turbulence that we experienced.  I somehow managed to sit up, get the seat belt from under me, lie back down and put the seat belt round me without opening my eyes or even really waking up.  That's got to be some kind of skill!

10 hours later I woke up.....  there was just enough time left in the flight for me to have breakfast and watch a couple of films.  I looked out of the window behind me and caught my first glimpse of New Zealand