NZ Trip 1!

London Travel Blog

I have been dreaming about going to New Zealand since I was a little girl.  I have family that live in Auckland - my Uncle I have met a couple of times when he has been over here, and I met my cousins when they came over 10 years ago, but I have never met my Aunt.  My Mum really wanted to go back to see her brother so after 3 years of investing into a share save scheme at work I had my money for my dream trip.  As this was going to be a once in a lifetime trip for me I was doing it properly... I was flying with Air New Zealand but not in Economy Class... hell no, I was splashing out on flying Business Premiere!  My plan was to spend a week travelling round the South Island before heading up to the North Island and spending 10 days with my family, then we would go to Fiji for 4 days before flying back to London.

I booked my trip through Kuoni who I have to say were absolutely fantastic!  They told me the places that were included in their standard South Island 7 day trip, but I had other plans.  I told them the places that I wanted to go to - some of which were not included in their standard packages, but they still managed to put the whole thing together for me for my perfect trip.

When we arrived at Heathrow we were shown (!) to the Business Class lounge where we were told we should wait until we were called for our flight.  There was absolutely everything on offer and you could take what ever you wanted - crackers, danish pastries, water, fruit juice, vodka....  My theory when I am in an airport I am on international time and normal rules do not apply.

.. therefore it is perfectly acceptable to have a vodka at 10am!

When we got on the plane we were offered more booze... champagne, wine, orange juice...  Obviously I had champagne, after all it's rude not to!  When we arrive in Christchurch we were immediately getting in our hire car and driving the first part of our road trip, therefore I had come up with a cunning plan.  We were due to arrive in Christchurch early in the morning, so I needed to sleep on the flight from LA to New Zealand which meant that I had to stay awake for the 12 hours from London to LA... easy peasy!  It's quite easy to stay awake when you have thousands of hours of tv, movie and radio entertainment at your fingertips!

mrvis says:
Going there in a few months, your blog makes me more impatient!
Posted on: Jul 14, 2008
My seat... for the trip of a lifet…
My seat... for the trip of a life…
Somewhere over Greenland