AfricaGhanaAccra

Smiling, happy faces

Accra Travel Blog

I've made it Accra!  After a treacherous 20 hour trip (down from 30 last year) I'm back in Accra where it's hot, muggy, dirty, smelly and full of probably the friendliest and happiest people on earth!  You can't help but step foot off the plane and just go ahhhh.  A big sigh of relief.  I've already ventured out for the day to Barclay's bank to look into setting up a bank account.  Ironically I left the paperwork on the tro tro.  Go figure.  Did you know you have to have a referral to be able to open a bank account?  The person has to have had a bank account there for more than 12 months.  How crazy is that?  So hopefully Mr. Koffie can come with me tomorrow to open the account since I left the paperwork behind.

Prices have also gone up here pretty drastically since I was here last.  Fuel is still over $5/gallon and cement around $9.50 a bag.  Even the school lunches went from $0.30 to $0.80 in just over a year.  Isn't it crazy?

The kids bombarded me the second i stepped onto the school grounds and even more so when I started to distribute their school photos I took last year and had printed up.  Most of these kids have never seen a photo of themselves minus on the camera screen after we took them last year so they were elated and some of them embarassed but regardless they were all smiling and showing off their photos to one another, laughing and making fun of one another.  Some of the kids were too shy to say hello while some of the little ones ran up to me and thre their arms around my legs.

It's so good to be back.  Gardenia flies in tomorrow and I realized she's going to have a real culture shock.  But she'll love it just as I do.
jeffy says:
Hope to see this blog updated throughout your trip.
Posted on: Nov 28, 2008
01maynardjameskeenan says:
Ah, you lucky duck :) id love to be back there. you're always guaranteed to be flooded with smiles. good luck with it and keep us posted. Miadogo!
Posted on: Nov 25, 2008