Market day in Fodome Henu

Hohoe Travel Blog

Today we went back to the Fodome area to visit the chief, see the school in session and see their market day.  Somehow I just love this community.

I had to greet the chief before I could see the market as it’s custom here.  The chief is an 81 year old man who looks like he’s 65 or 70 and though slow, gets around pretty good!  He usually is just draped in a large piece of cloth and if he needs to read something puts on these ginormously huge glasses that they probably wore in the 40s haha.  But he’s the cutest little old man!  And a pretty funny guy too.  I’m not sure if I wrote earlier but he said that my coming to their village was “a divine intervention from God,” which is pretty crazy!

I first visited the school where Global Brigades programs could run rampant to help this school!  This school is a secondary school where the students have to pay a very small fee in comparison to other schools in the area but it is still often too much.  For repairs and upkeep of the school they have about one acre of land that they have farmed yam, tomato and maize on.  The students are responsible for it’s upkeep and get some small tips from time to time if the crops succeed.  These funds are what they use to put locks on the doors, replace a battery for the clock, etc.  If the crops succeed they can actually bring in a few hundred dollars but apparently in all the communities there was too much rain this year.  I spoke with the headmaster for a very long time who is actually retired and takes ¼ of the pay he should be getting because he is receiving pension and therefore doesn’t mind because he’s helping the community.  He keeps accurate records of everything.  They had two volunteer teachers who were sent through the government for three weeks and spoke as if they were here just a few months ago and rather the daily logs stated it was over three years ago!

Because of the farm, if Global Brigades Business could step in to help expand the land and give some farming tools of any kind, they could expand their income to make the school more sustainable.  The community has two bore holes and the students have to bring water to the school if they want any, so any kind of rain water storage system would be wonderful here.  There are no toilets virtually in the entire community (4 KVIP at the primary school) so the secondary school could really use them.  As for education, they have little to no supplies (surprise!) and not enough desks or textbooks.  They could also use some vocational training skills as that seems to be in demand here since many of the students can not afford to attend college.

After taking some notes and visiting with the girls in one of the classrooms for a bit, we left for the next village just right down the road, Fodome Wote.  We took some surveys and headed back to town.

The internet is driving me crazy here.  What it takes me to do in ten minutes at home takes nearly an hour and a half here.  I can’t update my website because the site won’t even load for me to do it, even after waiting over an hour!  I’m hoping maybe when I get back to Accra or maybe my brother will copy and paste my blogs for me, we’ll see.

I want to build self composting toilets at the school in Accra and get that project going before I leave but we can’t seem to get in contact with anyone who knows how to build them.  Do any of you know of any organizations who could guide us?  KVIP toilets are the most popular here in the rural areas but they are still a very dirty option I believe and though I don’t know much about them (and can’t read on the internet because it’s so slow), question their quality of being in the ground.

I also wonder if maybe we can’t get it going if I’ll send the funds to one of the schools here.  For example there is a school in Aklamapafu where the Kindergarden school block will likely only take about $500-$1000 to complete and there is currently no Kindergarden class at all.  The other building is only half constructed by Ghana Education Services and when it rains, all the rain water comes gushing in.  They are also in need of toilets.  There is so much need here and so hard to determine where it should go!  I think I’ll consult Sarah when I see her this weekend to see what she thinks, though irrefutably there will be a good portion going towards Golden Era at least in the form of scholarships if nothing else.
photo by: RachaelKing