Hangin' in Cork Pubs

Cork Travel Blog

Fitzpatrick's store, Cork

Wake, ablutions, the usual YHA breakfast and off out into the surrounding area to check out Belfast suburbia.
    One thing I particularly like to do when travelling is visit cemeteries.  They are always nice for quiet contemplation and give an interesting history of the area through information from headstones.  Here many of those laying beneath the soil were young and comments spoke of tragic loss, indicative of the flipside of what I had seen in the center yesterday.

I made my way to the train station and south to Cork where I was to catch up with Paula after her day at the bank ended.  I was excited to see her and as I wandered the Cork city centre (or from pub to pub anyway) I found myself wishing the day away.

Cork statue for paper boys.
  When we finally met at the appointed hour we went for a quick drink and caught up with each others lives as lived over the past 6 months since we'd enjoyed that wild night at Interlaken, Switzerland.

After that was completed Paula drove me from Cork back to her families home in New Castle West and there I ws greeted by the whole family and treated like a king.  I was shown to Paula's sister's room where I was to sleep.  She had been bumped into Paula's room so I could have some privacy.  Nice!
Her mother had cooked a marvelous meal and after cleaning up (which they wouldn't allow me to assist with) we settled down for a couple of fingers of best Irish whiskey in front of the turf fire.
After the family all retired Paula and I stayed up to watch a film that had recently been released to video, "The Field".  It was a powerful tale about a man struggling to get what he deserved from a piece of land.  Paula mentioned it was very Irish.  I enjoyed it thoroughly and have been looking to find a copy to call my own ever since.

Fitzpatricks store, Cork