First Greek Capital

Nafplion Travel Blog

Constitution Square

The first task in Nafplion was to find my accommodation.  I knew where I wanted to stay but I needed a map or directions to get my bearings in the town.  The bus had dropped me in the center and I saw a signpost directing me up to the Tourist Police office.

I found the office and the Tourist Police set me right.  I located my B&B and was well pleased with my room.

One of the interesting things I'd read about houses in Greece was that taxes were paid by roof area.  What the cunning home owners did was to leave the corner pillars rising from a lower floor, without putting a roof on top.  This would then make for a nice balcony (like I had outside my room here) but without a roof, and not yet finished, less money had to be paid to the Government.

View from Palamidi
  I guess it's fortunate the weather is so good here.  i doubt we'd get away with such a trick in NZ even if the system of taxation made roofless balconies this attractive!

My next order of business was to get out and about the places of interest for the remainder of the afternoon.

Nafplion was the original Capital of Greece so there are plenty of interesting things to see.

I decided to head up the hill and explore the Palamidi (an expansive Venetian castle) that covers the whole place.  The walk up was not too bad but I enjoyed the pauses to stop and look about the harbour.

The steps zig-zagged up the side of the hill and when I finally reached the top, there was more walking up and down over the hill as the castle was spread around like a large walled fortification rather than a single building.

I spent the next day exploring the town as well.  It was a nice place.  The food delighted me again and although I was never a fan of olives, what's a Greek Salad without them?  By the time I was on the bus for Athens I was popping the juicy black fruit like grapes.

Castle Chapel