Pitlochry - Inverness

Inverness Travel Blog

We started the second day by visiting the Lynn of Tummel trail, a pass where a battle of Killiecrankie took place. Gordon, told us about some history stuff, men with spears and stuff, all that kind of stuff; I just thought it was a nice walk. So we walked for about 20 mins along the river and came to an area called 'Soldiers Leap', a gorge which Donald McBane took a giant leap from one side of the river bank to the other – 5.5meters in total.

From the Lynn of Tummel Trail we went to Loch an Eilein taking in a ruined barracks on our way.

Before lunch, we walked around this lake. The group slit into two parties and we walked around it in different directions passing in the middle. The group I was with started by walking right by the river ducking under low lying branches and stepping over raised tree roots, before we discovered the main path after about 15 mins. Once we got around the river (90mins later) we had lunch and chilled out for about half an hour.

After lunch we headed onwards north into the highlands. We took in Culloden battlefields on our was into Inverness - the capital of the highlands. I'm not big on history so found the day quite challenging. All the walking was good though. However I was looking forward to this evening, a good Scottish pub meal and some traditional live music. I was itching for the next day which would see us reach the Isle of Skye.

Once settled into the student hostel, we went out into the Inverness town centre and found a pub which did Haggis supper and had a Ceilidh (pronounced Kayley) band playing from 9.30pm onwards. I was pleased that we found a pub that did the Scottish traditional delicacy of Haggis, as I had not had it for many years. The Haggis was served up with mash potatoes and swede,

Come 9.30 the band came on and we helped to clear the tables to one side to create a large open area for dancing. Ceilidh music and dancing stems from Scottish tradition and has many routines either involving couples brought together as one big group. The Ceilidh dancing was great fun once the two band members showed us some steps. We headed back to the hostel at about 11.30pm as the pub wanted to close.

Inverness