Corolla Travel Blog

What better way to celebrate the beginning of summer than arriving at a beautiful beach?  That was the expectation, though reality was a little disappointing.  Our excitement built up as we drove across Roanoke Island to Nags Head, only to witness the endless succession of tacky beach shops which clutter every beach destination.

Bumper-to-bumper traffic was further sobering and my visions of a rustic retreat evaporated.  I almost dialed up an old friend who has been coming here for a week very year since the 1980’s to complain.  The tales my buddy (Doug) shared had painted this picture of a remote environment - utterly shattered now that we were there.  My mind had been seeded by Doug’s sharing of a conversation he had with a local years ago.  The environs apparently struck Doug as miles from nowhere and he inquired what folks did when there was a medical emergency.  The local (or ‘Banker’ as they are called) dryly responded “people die here”.  This conjured a hardscrabble picture in my brain, a place populated by rugged individualists, akin to my beloved Maine

After limping past four Medical Centers (each advertising ‘Emergencies Accepted’, no less!) in a suffocating mass of traffic after one mile on the Banks, that image was utterly demolished.  .Our running joke would become “yeah, people die here” – because they can’t get to a hospital for all the cars or that their hearts had been clogged by salt water taffy!

Slowly we plodded north towards Duck, where we had planned to rendezvous with Jeff and his family.  We met up at a trendy strip mall, where we enjoyed lunch and everybody went shopping for a bit (except for me – not shaping up as my ideal vacation).  We spent the balance of the day inching further northward towards Corolla (pronounced CUH-RAWL-AH….not like the Toyota) and checked in to our respective hotels / vacation houses.  No pictures today.

photo by: vances