AsiaChinaXiamen

Snack food or meal ?

Xiamen Travel Blog

So the potato chips in China are full meals ! We have barbeque chips, they have barbequed beef and pork ! Fried Chicken, Cucmber, basically all of your food groups can be found in chip form !! LOL I know people were staring at me in the supermarket as I was taking pictures and I am sure they were thinking, "Where is this girl from where they don't have potato chips!?" All of the food in China definitely put me in culture shock at first. Especially the fact that they keep the heads on everything ! One of my first meals in China was a family style meal with other Chinese travellers on my tour group in Guilin. The meal started out realy great, we all cleaned our chopstickes with tea before the food was served, then I reached with my chopsticks for a piece of chicken & I happened to pick up a sauteed chicken head, beak, eyes and all ! I didn't want to be rude so I politely placed the head in my rice bowl, lowered it under the table when no one was looking so my friend could take a picture and then placed it back on the table.  Another thing I had to take a picture of in the supermarket was the pyramid of eggs ! They don't come in cartons, they are all stacked up, like oranges or apples, and people place them in plastic bags just like fruit & suprisingly none of them looked broken !
pms70 says:
Looking forward to the picture! Did you pretend to eat it too?
Posted on: Sep 11, 2008