Heading up the hill and out the smoke

South Lake Tahoe Travel Blog

you only see these at high altitude
I am soooooo excited. I am looking forward to doing my first altitude dive and getting out of this smoke. Cough cough.  For people who are unaware we have been experiencing a very dry year and at the moment the entire vally is surrounded by fires that were started by lightning. The smoke makes beautiful sunsets but thats the only good thing I can say about it.  I am heading up the hill with my friend dean from work. We are going to camp in fallen leaf lake campground on the edge of south lake tahoe. I have never been to this lake but have wanted to for many years.

I picked up two rental tanks and got my two filled. Unfortunatly there are no dive shops in tahoe so I had to bring extra tanks.  Dean picked me up and we went to his house to hook up his fifth wheel.
enjoying a beer in the woods
I am not into sleeping in the trailer so i brought my hammock to sleep in. I have to be outside, fall asleep looking at the stars.  I brought alot of dive gear and was trying to travel light so i left the tent behind.

We arrived at the campsite around 4 in the afternoon. We dropped the trailer and I set up my hammock. After we were all set up we went to meeks bay to check out the dive location for the next few days. There was a campground at meeks bay as well but it was not that great. It was like a parking lot for rv's. Definitely not my style.  The bay and lake were beautiful though. It was hazy up there but the air was so much cleaner than in the valley.  We went back to camp, made some dinner, and enjoyed an evening by the fire.
fat squirrel