I went to San Fransico with no flowers in my hair

San Francisco Travel Blog

Waiting for 9 hours to go by
So I jumped on the bus and off we went to San Francisco. I was squashed in a space that easily could get the bus-company a trial at the Court of Human Rights and as if this wasn’t enough, the AC went belly up and for three hours I got grilled, like a piece of lava in a microwave - on the sun. (I stole this line from Jonathan Ross)
Then we swapped buses, leaving nothing but patches of sweat behind.

Overall the journey took nine hours which not only put a knot into my spine, but also allowed me to have some fantastic conversations. E.I. with this amazing woman of Italian descent, who had been a film director, model, geographer and now was working as an English teacher at a University.
Also I sat next to a 16 years old DJ who introduced me to “Infected Mushroom”. Yey! And for the last hour him and me made friends with this young guy who had been singing loudly (and awfully) for several hours, against most passengers’ will. Curiously, I always find myself sympathising with those who mess with and hence challenge social conventions.

When I finally got out of the bus, and life started to fill my limbs again, I called Jenn, the friend of my trav-buddy Heather, and appointed volunteer for putting me up for a few nights because of Heather’s sudden illness. Jenn didn’t know me; I didn’t know her and I guess that at this very moment we were both hoping to meet someone bearable at least.
Jenn approached me “Excuse me, are you Ragnar?” I looked at her with a startled expression: “Uhm.
No.” and walked on. A few seconds later I turned around suppressing laughter into a smirk: “Well, actually… yes, it’s me.” Jenn turned around: “Ahhhhh! You £$@£*%!!!! I can’t believe it!” She punched me on the shoulder but couldn’t help but laugh as well.

We got into her car and I asked her to find the nearest restaurant (I was starving). Despite having a lot of small talk quite frankly it took us a while to really warm up with each other. After all I was some stranger with a German-British accent, intending to stay at her house for the next three nights. So I really did understand Jenn’s caution. (It didn’t help that I mentioned dungeons and sex-slaves within the first 5 minutes. Hahaha! Sorry, I just couldn’t help it. Naughty me.)

In the restaurant (Japanese) we met Jenn’s housemates Matt, Steve and one of their friends called Fran.
They were a friendly bunch with an amazingly funny sarcastic sense of humour. Just ten minutes into the conversation Fran and Jenn contemplated about how to make money by lending me out as a toy boy. I think they better don’t give a money-back guarantee.

Eventually, I entered Jenn’s, Matt’s and Steve’s house which would be my home for the next three days. I was impressed by Steve’s DJ equipment, by Matt’s philosophic considerations and by Jenn’s luxurious shower with the most powerful and perfect stream of hot water on this planet.

We decided to go out for a relaxed drink or two and ended up in this posh place, which name I have forgotten.

I finished the night by crashing on three big square pillows and aligned them as a kind of surprisingly comfortable mattress on the floor of the living room.

goldfishflosser says:
that's a kind thing to say to a man! thank you rebecca! ;)
Posted on: Nov 23, 2008
Boston_Babe says:
Your blogs are awesome! Thanks for the entertainment, which is your life, lol! I love it ;)
Posted on: Nov 19, 2008
Waiting for 9 hours to go by
I thought it might be the Golden G…
I thought it might be the Golden …
Steves cool DJ equipment
Ooohhhh yeah
Ooohhhh yeah
Fran looks good from all sides
Fran looks good from all sides
Jenn is having a good time with an…
Jenn is having a good time with a…