Santa Barbara compact

Santa Barbara Travel Blog

Santa Barbara Center
My Santa Barbara experience lasted for about two and a half days.

I swam next to a sea lion. Not in a romantic Flipper-kind-of-way. He didn’t really give a shit (or she, but I don’t think so, because of the beard). Mr. Sea Lion just popped up every 5 minutes took some air in, and before diving again had a good look around in his snobby, neglectful and arrogant fashion. That’s what happens to aristocrats whose status is purely based on inherited tradition rather than personal achievement. Max Weber always knew it. I tried to demean him by holding my breath longer than him, but failed shamefully.

I played 5 hours beach volleyball with a bunch of language students. What a blast! I LOVE beach volleyball!
Really burned myself along the way, to the point where I started getting shivers.
The food market
Not good. On the bus back to my motel the driver, a big guy with fingers like little sausages, saw it and said “Buddy, have a look at your legs. You are burnt!” Me, looking at my legs: “Yeah. I’m burnt.” “Buddy, you should put some Aloe Vera on it!” Sure enough, he stops the bus right next to an Aloe Vera plant, I get off, grab a leaf, jump back on the bus and now the driver and most of the other passengers tell me how to dissect and use the plant and how great Aloe Vera is. Awesome!

I went to the weekly market, listened to a group of hippies or Christians singing (whatever their view of the universe was, they seemed cheerfully peaceful), bought organic strawberries, peaches and blueberries. Had them later on with a big pot of yoghurt and some nuts (the fruit not the singers). Delicious!

Spend half a day recovering from being burnt.
A colourful guitarist
Walked through Santa Barbara’s cute little world of shops and started fun conversations with random people.

I had my first US-burger.

I met a surfer gal that showed me around in her old Ford, though the wildfires blocked us from getting into the mountains.

Got bad news. My TravBuddy Heather who had invited me for white water rafting and a rodeo show in Sacramento had become ill. Bummer! Fortunately, being the kind person she is, she hooked me up with a friend in San Francisco though (who didn’t know me at all). So I had to rearrange my travels last minute and luckily got the very last place on the bus from Santa Barbara to San Francisco.

alicegourmet says:
That was neat...the passengers on the bus stopped the bus for you to grab the aloe vera and taught you how to use it! Amazing! Great to hear that you had great trip over there! :)
Posted on: Aug 07, 2008
Sheila_0808 says:
Glad everything worked out for you!
Yeah! aloe does works for sunburn too!
Nice blog;P
Posted on: Aug 07, 2008
A colourful guitarist
Something must have been funny...
Something must have been funny...
Santa Barbara from above