A trip into Newport, the missing sunset and GREAT pics

Newport Travel Blog

One of our great timer shots.

We decided today to take a trip into Newport, RI which is probably one of my favorite New England places. Of course we weren't even out of Milford and we had taken a wrong turn and ended up in Warwick, RI among other places along the way and what should have been a 1 1/2 hour trip turned into much longer, lol. Once again we saw some cute little towns that we wouldn't have seen otherwise. I had been to Newport 2 times before once in the spring/summer of 03 or 04 and for New Year's eve 2004. We spent New Years at O'Brien's an Irish pub drinking cider and having a great time.

We headed up to Newport and as we got closer we discovered that everyone in the greater Boston area was also heading into Newport because traffic was crawling.

Newport Marina.
My theory is that 95% of the population of the USA lives in the Mass/RI area and everyone gets the same idea to go to the same place at the same time, lol.

We finally got to Newport and it truely is a perfect town not matter how crowded it is or how often you've been there. You have to go across this toll bridge to get to it (at least we always do) and when you get to the top of the bridge you can look over and there's Newport. On your way out of town is a little lighthouse that sits in the water right next to the bridge. Since it was getting near sunset at this time we decided to drive around and look for a place to get some sunset pics; Kerry and I are sunset junkies. We drove around the marina and decided to walk around a bit and then we  drove the Ocean Drive and found a place to stop and stalk the sunset.

Newport.
Well, as luck would have it there was no sunset just tons of clouds. We attempted some timer pics with disasterous and hilarious results. Then I finally got the timer to work but couldn't get the focus right which resulted in more hilarious shots. We headed off to town and decided to park and walk until we found a place we  wanted to eat at. Of course we ended up at O'Brien's pub again and I had  sheppard's pie and cider. We did some people watching during dinner and discovered that Newport must be a high crime area???? There must have been 20 police officers on duty and we discovered that there were different kinds of police officers. There were the regular Police Car Officers, the Sports Utility Vehicle Officers and the Bicycle Officers.  For some reason (cider maybe) we thought this was the funniest thing and laughed and laughed all night long. One thing about it, I felt really, really, really safe in Newport, RI.

travelman727 says:
There are few pleasures as wonderful as enjoying a good Shepherd's pie on vacation!
Posted on: Dec 05, 2006
X_Drive says:
I swear, you two could find an Irish Pub anywhere! :) And that may be why the timer is so hard to use. hehe And it's certainly why you find so many things hilarious. hehehe hic. :)
Posted on: Dec 05, 2006
Ocean drive.
Ocean drive.
Ocean drive
Ocean drive
Views from the ocean drive waiting…
Views from the ocean drive waitin…
Finally success.