Day 3 - Bus tour and Pompidou centre

Paris Travel Blog

La Madeleine

We got up late and decided to take the bus tour that was part of the Paris Pass. It took us ages to get out of the hotel...my sister refused to leave without straightening her hair! It was probably 11 or 12 by the time we got to the first stop and luckily we didn't have to wait too long for the bus to arrive. It was very windy that day and me and my mother nearly died laughing at my sister's freshly straightened hair blowing all over the place on the open-top bus. One of the highlights of the trip actually. :)

The tour lasted about an hour in total. We decided to sit out the tour instead of getting on and off to see the sights. Once we knew where things were we could come back to what we wanted (and had time..) to see. The tour took us all over the city, but was a little too long due to traffic.

The Pompidou Centre
We got off and went to the Hard Rock for lunch. The food was great and I was surprised that they had a good selection for vegetarians. We got a free desert with the Paris Pass (no, I'm not on comission for the Pass, but I think it's a must have to save money on your trip). The collection of Rock 'n' Roll memoribilia was fantastic...Madonna's bra, Eminem's dungarees, Aerosmith's guitar to name a few.  Of course we spent a ton of cash on t-shirts!! We also bought most of our presents to take home. You can't go wrong with a Hard Rock t-shirt!

We then headed towards the Pomidou centre and on the way stopped at La Madeleine. It looks like something you'd see in Athens. It was modelled on a Greek temple. We didn't go inside, but I think it's a church or, at least used to be one.

Eiffel Tower

The Pompidou centre is the strangest looking building I have ever seen. So different from the rest of the architecture of the city. Probably because everything else is so old and this was designed and built in 1977. We hadn't planned on coming here, but after hearing good things from people that had been here we decided to see what the fuss was about. To be honest, the art wasn't anything special. There were a lot of modern scupture pieces that I couldn't figure out. But the building was cool to see and we went up the 10 miles of escalators to the top and got a nice view of the city. I wouldn't have paid to see this wacky museum, but we had free entry on...you guessed it - The Paris Pass!

We headed back to the hotel to have dinner and to rest for a while. Then we went out again to see the Eiffel tower all lit up. There wasn't much of a queue, unlike during the day. We went up to the top, which took about 10 minutes. The views were spectacular!! You can see the entire city and it's easy to see why it's called The City of Lights.

Art outside the Pompidou Centre