portland day 3: things i didn't know about the northwest

Portland Travel Blog

1. gelato is as common as coffee.
2. men wear capris. seriously.

i'm working on expanding my list, but i really can't understand those two things. does anyone know WHY there are gelato shops all over the place? the northwest is farther from italy than dc, and WE don't have them.

and i have to assume that the whole men wearing capris thing is eurotrendy, but how did portland beat us to it? even if it's a bad eurotrend, i would like to think that the dc metro would be among the first to jump on board (and subsequently the first to realize when it was time to move on).

ah well, you learn something new every day. and today was no exception. i learned that a mile flat and a mile steeply uphill are not the same mile.

this morning, i had another morning to myself to relax, sleep in, take my time getting ready, do some reading, take a nap... it was glorious. kelly was home early from work, and after i woke up from my nap, we headed to the Northwest 23rd area. very soho..trendy boutiques with vey cute stuf that is mostly overpriced, but every now and then, you find a steal.

i had a fabulous buffalo chicken sandwich at rose's before we walked the streets checking out the shops. i decided that i was going to practice budget concientiousness on this trip, so i refrained from buying several cute items that i wanted, but definitely did not need.

mid-way through our street walking, we stopped for dessert at papa haydn's. so rich and fabulous. we finished checking out the shops and headed home to meet dylan.

then the three of us headed to multonomah falls and the columbia river gorge. it was a nive time of day to hit it. we got there about 6:45pm, so the tourist traffic was down, and it was nice and cool.

after a stop in the gift shop, we headed upwards, and after getting to the bridge, dylan and kelly let me make the decision about going to the top. i thought, one mile? how could we not? that's ridiculous! well, it was ridiculous. ridiculously hard. who knew there could be such a difference!

at any rate, it was worth it to catch the sunset from the top. we had the view virtually to ourselves. and there's nothing like a little family bonding over an asthma attack anyway:)
Portland