portland day 2: a nike kind of day

Portland Travel Blog

with kelly and dylan both having to work, i had the morning to myself. normally, that might not be such a good thing, but in this cae, it was nice to just sleep in, chill out and relax, without them feeling like they had to entertain me.

i wandered the streets near their home for a litle while and stopped at a local chain for some lunch. now i'm wishing that pizzacato wasn't portland specific. it was, quite possibly, the best pizza i've ever had.

when kelly got home from work, we headed to the nike employee store. i have to be honest, i don' think anyone would confuse me for a 'sporty' girl, so i honestly wasn't expecting to find anything i really liked. i really don't wear sneakers. my skechers are the closest i come, and i still prefer a pair of flip flops or sndals any day.

so imagine my surprise at finding clothes and shoes that i wanted! i had to remind myself that i was on a budget and choose carefully. i ended up with a jacket, a couple of shirts, and two pair of shoes--both a little fun and funky.

after finishing up there, we headed over to the nike campus to meet dylan and tour the grounds. they are impressive. in fact, they refer to it as a 'campus' because it is so similar to a university campus with multiple buildings, various services being offered (hair cuts, dry cleaning, multiple food service options). it's huge, and diverse. with soccer fields, swimming pools, tracks, lakes, fountains, all inter-mingled with corporate offices where the magic happens.

dylan was an excellent tour guide, showing us the different design areas, his workspace, the 3d printer. yes, a 3d printer. it prints in wax. it's crazy! we walked down various covered walkways lined with the most horrible reliefs i've ever seen. the athletes look nothing like their live (or dead) versions, and some were actually frightening.

we walked through the gym, and saw the pool where much of dylan's goggle testing took place. played in the playground (the 'floor' was made of recycled soles!).

since none of the van atta's have made it to portland previously, while dylan has been here, it was cool just to have the opportunity to have a visual on the place dylan loves so much, and has found so much success at.

after the grand tour, dylan headed back to work, and kelly and i headed home. we grabbed thai for dinner and headed to the gelato place down the street. i had the most amazing chocolate hazelnut gelato. so yum.

dylan was home when we got there and was finishing up some home teaching, so the three of us relaxed and enjoyed some down time before calling it a night.

Portland