Experiencing Culture

Bargara Travel Blog

I have learnt recently that the only way to really experience a culture is to live it. I have been on holidays before and thought that I was experiencing the culture, but now I know better. It is strange that I have only just realised this after living in another country for 3 years and while I was there, I never really appreciated what I was doing.

On my Holidays through various places, I don’t think I ever really thought about what experiencing the culture of the where I was… In a way I don’t think I really had a chance. Yes I did get to touch on the surface, eat the food, take pictures of the sites around me, but I don’t feel I got what I could of from being there. It was only a taste of everything that the location was.

After now coming back to Australia after my absence and finally appreciating things that I hadn’t even realised that I had missed, have I really started to think about what I might have missed out on. I do believe that after having lived in the Netherlands, I did experience the true Culture of that country. I was after all immersed in it in my daily life. Talking to people and actually being involved in it… even if at times that meant I didn’t integrate into the society.

So from now on when I do travel I will try and do more than just see the sights on offer and think more about getting involved in the Culture. After all my definition of Culture encompasses everything around me, the people, the building, the language… literally everything.

marg_eric says:
great blog!:)
grz. Marg
Posted on: Mar 08, 2009
ms_travelr says:
Totally agree !!
Especially when travelling off the beaten trail.
Posted on: Feb 28, 2009