Part 1.3 - Oh My God!!! Typhoon!!!

Bolinao Travel Blog

Richard

We woke up at around 9AM the next day. Well, not really sure. I lost track of time. All I could remember was that we were feeling so lazy to get up and have breakfast that we just turned the TV on and watched a Tagalog movie on cable (Anak starring Vilma Santos hehehe). The topic was quite heavy, and pretty soon we were crying like a bunch of five-year-olds :D So we just got up, went to the kitchen, had breakfast, showered, and went on our way.

Our plan for the day was to go to an uber-cool waterfall just outside of Bolinao. But first, we went to see one of the caves in the area (forgot the name, but there were plenty of them there). Looking in, one could see the crystal-clear turquoise-blue water inside the cave, but for some reason, we decided not to swim.
the cave
I was expecting some bats to start flying around and freaking us out with their high-pitched whatever. But nope, the cave didn't even smell like bat-poop.

After less than 20 minutes, we moved on. By then, it's started to rain lightly, which we didn't mind at all. However, as we rode out of town, the rain started to get heavier and heavier. Since Richard was the one driving the bike, we asked him if it's okay to continue, since the raindrops were quite big and made it hard for us to see the road clearly. Richard said it's okay though, so on we went. Then strong winds started blowing towards us, which made the impossibly big drops of rain hit our faces and bodies harder. They were so big and hurt so bad and the wind was so strong that we thought we'd be black and blue afterwards! We were also starting to worry about visibility and the road being slippery.
the cave
So we decided to turn around.

By the time we got back to Bolinao proper, we were already soaking wet, dripping, shaking , and feeling very cold. It was horrible! While we trusted Richard not getting us into any accident on the road, we feared that we're going to die of hypothermia instead. Only good thing about the latter is that we'd die as good-looking people instead of the former where there'll be blood, internal organs, and limbs flying in all directions. Damn, now I'm hungry :D

As we neared Richard's place, it stopped raining. Not wanting to waste our time in Bolinao just staying inside the house, we decided to move ahead and go to the beach instead. However, after only a few minutes from the house, it started to rain hard again, and since it took us an hour to get to the beach before, we were wetter than ever! I know this may sound a bit x-rated, but it's not! We were literally shaking from the cold, and our faces hurt from those big damn raindrops.
the cave
We couldn't go any faster because the road was slippery and on the rough parts, puddly. You know, full of puddles. Is that even a word?

So we got to the beach, took shelter in one of the cabanas, and waited for the rain to stop (smart right?). We couldn't stop shaking from the cold, it was really that bad. Throw in the fact that we're hungry and sleepy (well, that's me). Anyway, after another 30 minutes or so, seeing that it didn't look like the rain's gonna stop, we decided to just go back home instead of wait til it gets dark, which could be more dangerous. But, less than 5 minutes of leaving the beach, I said I couldn't make it all the way to the house without freezing and falling off the bike and dying right there and then. I was feeling so weak and hungry and cold that I really thought I'd faint.
Jenny
But alas, we couldn't see any shelter around! Then, we remembered the lighthouse. So there we went as fast as we could!

Upon reaching the shelter next to the lighthouse, I asked myself, and my two friends, why we bothered going to the beach in the first place. I mean, it was raining pretty heavily and all, so it's not like we could take a swim! We could've gone straight to the lighthouse and saved ourselves all the trouble. But frankly, we didn't know why. Maybe our brains stopped functioning because of the cold, who knows? So instead of pondering about it, we just focused on the task ahead - keeping ourselves warm and thinking of a Plan B in case it didn't stop raining (Plan A was to act stupid all over again). Well, since there wasn't any fireplace there, we did the latter (oh yeah).
on the bike
The rain did become lighter, but when we're less than half-way to the house, it went back to big and hurtful raindrops brrr.

Final Destination?!? Almost!!!

There was this one part wherein Richard saw a low-lying branch of a tree ahead. So just when the bike passed that point, he ducked his head to avoid it, and since I was right behind him, it hit me instead. I chastised him for a good couple minutes for not telling me to duck my head as well, that crazy guy.

Aside from that, we encountered 2 accident-inducing incidents along the way. First, there was this part of the road flanked by open spaces on one side and bamboos on the other. We were on the 'bamboo' side, and the wind was blowing against the bamboos towards the direction of the road. One of them was being bent down by the wind so low that it hit the road over and over. As our bike got closer and we saw what was happening, we urged Richard to make sure that his timing is right. So, after hitting the road, the bamboo raised up and we sped up while it's still up. We passed under the bamboo just in the nick of time before it hit the road again behind us. Whew!

The other one happened this way: There was a roofless tricycle ahead of us carrying some sort of long metal pipe at the back. It was moving like a turtle in a hurry, and since we wanted to get out of the rain as soon as possible and were moving very fast, we decided to swerve pass him to the left, signaling to him. All of a sudden, the driver had the brightest idea of turning around the tricycle, which put the pipe directly on the left, blocking our way. Thank goodness Richard was able to maneuver the bike more to the left, narrowly avoiding the pipe (which scraped its side mirror, by the way). It happened so fast, and what the tricycle driver did was so downright stupid that we were left with our mouths wide open, til we realized that he needed to hear some stuff, and so we shouted every nasty words that we could come up with (I also gave him the finger, hope he saw it). Such an idiot!

Other than these, the ride was rather full of laughter. That's us laughing at ourselves for our foolishness, and the people we pass by laughing at, yes, our foolishness. What else can one do in that situation? Anyway, suffice it to say that we got home safe, but shaking uncontrollably. There wasn't any electricity when we arrived, but it went up after a while (another whew!). After eating our late, late lunch, we slept a bit til it's time to head back home.

What a day!!!

JeAr says:
peace be with u too :D
Posted on: Jul 23, 2008
yheleen says:
magaling pala ang mga 'witches' magsulat? *?* hahaha...peace Jay :)
Posted on: Jul 23, 2008