The Sister Arrives: Nashville to Cave City, Kentucky

Nashville Travel Blog

DAY 12 (7/6/08)
10pm / 92 / hot and humid

Have you ever had one of those days that when you're done, you just want to kick back and relax with a case or two of beer? Well, maybe not, and really, I didn't want that much to drink either. But today was the first taxing day we've had.

After leaving the Smoky Mountains, we made our way back to Nashville to pick up my sister at the Nashville International Airport, Hair Care and Tire Center. It's about that small - just slightly bigger than the Long Beach Airport. And security is really strict. They only let you sit at the curb with your car off and enjoying a picnic dinner for 30 minutes. Seriously. Just about everyone there was parked, car off, at the curb, doors open and eating dinner - oh, and talking to the airport security personnel. Clearly Homeland Security is being enforced at the Nashville International.

After my sisters connecting flight from Atlanta to Nashville was delayed 3 times (no pilots were scheduled for her flight - way to go Delta - and then severe weather warnings - a.k.a. thunder/lightening - kept her stuck in the airport), we finally picked her up at 9pm. She sat next to Cal Ripkin, Jr. and some country star she didn't recognize.

Earlier in the day, we got lost in downtown Nashville where we ended up getting off the freeway and I had to navigate the downtown traffic and extremely narrow streets. Then the yelling frustrations erupted between my parents and I. We ended up not speaking for 3 hours once we finally found a campground, right across the street from the Grand Ole Opry - which is HUGE. Unfortunately, they were having some fancy event and we couldn't even go nose around. So I jumped out of the car and tried to get a picture, but

Today, after the treacherous maneuvering through the city, disagreement and the delayed airport pick up - I could've used a case of beer. Or at least one. But, it's off to bed in the Yogi Bear Campground and Fun Center. That, is not a joke.

We were going to head to Cave City, Kentucky today (only a 3 hour drive) but with all the delays, we ended up staying the night. A storm is moving in from the north and it is expected to get stormy tomorrow and we need get groceries before leaving. Updates will be sparse for the next few days as we'll be staying in State and National Parks which don't have Internet.
photo by: eurowestgirl