Mesa Verde National Park Travel Blog

DAY 19 (7/13/08)
Goodland, KS to Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado

Happy Birthday Dad! Today was my dad’s 60th birthday. Unfortunately, he had to celebrate from the passenger seat of the motorhome for 12 hours. We left Goodland, Kansas at 7am and did not make our campground in Mesa Verde until 7pm. We ended up driving 511 miles. We made a boo-boo. See, the farther east you go, the smaller and more manageable the states become. The farther west you go, the larger and more difficult the states become. Whoops. We forgot about the size of Colorado and it took us a LOOOOOOOONG time to get to Mesa Verde – but it is absolutely beautiful here.

We blew through Durango, CO about 50 miles east of Mesa Verde. We intended to stop, but the day was already long enough and it didn’t look that appealing. My aunt and uncle always raved about their stops in Durango, but it looked like a Rocky Mountain version of south Orange County – cookie cutter everything. I don’t know if this is recent, but it certainly wasn’t anything to write home about. Maybe we’ll explore on another trip.

Once in the Park, we drove around looking for a restaurant to take my dad so we could celebrate. Unfortunately, what was open was their fine dining experience that wasn’t exactly where the road-weary crew wanted so we went back to the RV for left-overs, sandwiches and soup. I promptly passed out in the middle of Pixar’s A Bug’s Life. My snoring, from all accounts, perturbed my sister.

Mesa Verde National Park