The Trip, Packing and final Preparations

Long Beach Travel Blog

For some background, let me explain to you this journey. In December, I realized that in 2008 both of my parents would be turning 60 - that's 120 years of celebrations and milestones between them. I thought, "How do you honor 120 years?" I first thought, "Raging party!" but decided against it since I would probably end up drinking all the alcohol. Then, I thought "Send them on a trip!" but that didn't seem possible with my dad's mobility issues. Then I said, "Let my sister figure it out!" and there were some inherent problems with that too. Finally, I settled on a combination - a trip where the whole family participated in their RV so my dad could easily enjoy all the sights and sounds. I am also packing enough alcohol to deal with 5 weeks of travel. Everybody wins.

Upon presenting this to the parents, they were overjoyed with the prospect of a cross-country adventure but were unsure of an itinerary. We brainstormed and came up with the following outline:

Travel east along Route 40 through: Arizona, New Mexico, Texas (panhandle), Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, TURN WEST, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, California!

The contents of the trip are somewhat in flux, but we are hitting major, and many minor, points of interest. The apex of the trip is our week-long stay in the Great Smokey Mountains (or maybe DollyWood, depending on which mountains are more impressive). We're going to see craters, petrified forests, Texas, Little Rock, the Clinton Library, Hot Springs, Graceland, The Grand Ole Opry, Jack Daniels, The Great Smokey Mountains, Mammoth Caves, the birth of a Corvette, St. Louis Arch, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners and the Grand Canyon.

Expect several updates along our journey, written by yours truly. When we have Internet access, I'll be sure to post my observations and some photos so you can travel from the comfort of your own home and laugh at our experience without offending anyone!

So, for now, this is the first entry. I am anxious to get going and start enjoying this amazing country ... I am not anxious about the cost of fuel, but I digress, it shall be an amazing opportunity.
magitles says:
thanks for sending me your link! Hey...I got a job offer to teach outside London! Might be moving there next month. So goes further travels. Have a blast on your roadtrip.
Posted on: Jul 06, 2008