Santorini Sunsets

Santorini Travel Blog

Hello from Santorini!  We both feel like we've been in Greece for months...  and never want this trip to end!  Seriously, if you've ever considered traveling the Greece Isles, start planning your trip now.  This place is totally unbelieveable!

We arrived in Santorini on Saturday afternoon.  I have to be honest and say that even though it is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen, we were both a little homesick for Rhodes!  We had such an incredible time and made some seriously fun friends there!  However, Santorini is truly breathtaking.  The sunsets from Oia (Or pretty much anywhere on the "Caldera", which is the western side of the island that has been blow apart by volcanos and earthquakes through the years) are truly spectacular.
  Our hotel is rather plain and unremarkable, so we didn't spend a whole lot of time in that area.  Fira is the main town - also with great views - but very busy and full of nothing but tourist shops.  Oia is where I would stay if I ever come back here.

This island is know for honeymooning and romantic getaways, so not exactly suited for Danielle and me - even though we feel like we're on a honeymoon vacation!  :)  We spent most of our time at the beaches while we were here.  (I'm writing this from the port of Santorini - we leave for Mykonos in less than an hour.)

Just a quick note about the beaches - black beach was beautiful and very resort-ish.  The Red Beach is totally off the charts.  I don't even know if i can properly explain how dramatic it is!  You literally have to hike to it - up and down a pretty rugged cliff, which we didn't know about beforehand.  The beach is at the base of a huge, beautiful red cliff and the water is crystal clear.

That's all for now... need to catch that ferry.
paul_gr says:
Did you end up going to Ancient Thira near Red Beach? Great blog entry.
Posted on: Jun 21, 2008