Prague Travel Blog

I love Prague!! Not only is this place cheap to stay, eat and play, but the city itself is so beautiful. It's like lifting a page out of a medieval book in the old city (Stare Mesto). I loved loved loved the beautiful parks in Prague too, spending a significant amount of time chilling out in the leafy and unbelievably green Petrinske Sady which randomly contains a miniature "Eiffel Tower" called the Petrin Tower - looked very much like a lightning rod to me, especially from a distance!

Prague Castle was unfortunately closed the day I went, though I still got to wander around a large part of the grounds. The terraced gardens are beautiful, and provide an awesome view over the orange rooftops of the city.

St Vitus Cathedral in the castle is amazingly ornate, covered in carvings and intricate stonework. There are numerous little courtyards tucked away around the grounds of the castle, one of which amusingly contained the Barbie Exhibition = h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s. One can only hope it's a permanent exhibit.

Wandering down from the Castle, you can cross Charles Bridge - one over-glorified bridge if ever there was one. The structure is beautiful, and the statues quite funny when you start making up names for what they represent (!!), but I appreciated much more the view of the neighbouring Most Legii, best seen from Charles Bridge. I spent a good 30 minutes sitting on the wall of Charles Bridge just watching the world go by, and there was a LOT of world going by. The bridge is constantly busy, with bustling tourists jostling for photo positions, artists hawking their wares and musicians trying to bring a soothing atmosphere to it all.

Crazy, but good.

At night, we went to a club near Charles Bridge, the name of which escapes me and will probably never come back. Six floors of crazy, cheesy fun, a really good night out with none of the aggressive attitude of clubs in other cities. Everyone was out for a laugh and a good dance, and a few cheeky beers and I didn't even notice the hours flying by til the sun was well and truly up. Not the best way to start a fresh day of sight seeing, but certainly I don't regret it now that the hang over is gone.

Cheap beers can be had at some of the innocuous bars in the backstreets around Wenceslas Square, the one we went to selling pints for 25 krowns. There is a hilarious restaurant near Pretinske Sady that has the best picture on the's on Ujezd, and it's very "traditional", but darned if I can remember the name of it.

The whole meal I couldn't stop smirking.

There are a number of things I missed out on seeing whilst there, such as the Jewish Quarter, and can you believe I went to Old Town Square and didn't see the Astronomical Clock? New meaning to the words "selectively blind".

21/06/08: I found the name of that hilarious restaurant near the Pretinske Park! Boy are you guys's called Pivnice U Svejku, number 22 on Ujezd - go after 6pm for the accordion player!!! And check out the "butt salute" (aptly dubbed) pics in the wall frames...and the massive painting on the wall of the guy being force-fed beer and opium - what a life!

cmgervais says:
Very nice! I can't WAIT to get there!
Posted on: Jun 21, 2008