A chance meeting..

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Towers

The alarm was set for 7:30.  I was listening to Lonely Planet and arriving at the Petronas Towers at 8:30 to get tickets for later in the day.  Everything was all planned.  I would get the tickets, go up to the Towers and then head to Batu Caves in the afternoon.  Everything was planned.

I woke up at 9:30!  The alarm on my phone was unable to go off because my phone did instead.  No explaination.  My phone was off, no power, and I tried everything to get that thing back on.  When I say everything, I mean taking out the battery, but still.  This wouldn't be the first piece of electronic equipment to break, as you will see.

Looking up

So, brushed my teeth and threw on yesterday's outfit and instead of taking the MRT like I had planned (and my foolish purchase of a 20 ringit pass had encouraged me) I had to take a taxi there.  Got ripped off, but didn't have time to negoiate.  Hopped in line for the towers and to my surprise, at 9:30 they were still taking people.  Good.  An Australian couple began chatting with me about the basic questions and after my ticket was purchased, they asked if I wanted to grab a coffee.  I wasn't sure if I did, I kinda wanted a shower, but you cannot say no.  And I'm glad I didn't.

They were extremely nice and friendly and fun to chat with.  Somehow my broken phone and nixed plans for the Batu Caves came up and they showed interest in going there as well.

Batu Caves
  They had mentioned they were on their honeymoon and had a driver for the week.  They invited me along, and I happily obliged.

Arriving at the Batu Caves, there weren't as many visitors as I had envisioned.  A few here and there.  We took some photos and headed for the stairs.  I have this problem that when I walk, I walk fast, especially up things, so as I was leaving them in the dust, I became aquainted with the tens and tens of monkeys that were also laying claim to the stairs.  I continued on my jaunt, but others walking the stairs must have though the monkeys were carrying knifes or knew kung fu or something because I can still hear their screams in my head.  There were some temples and such, which were nice.  But the golden statue and the monkeys grabbed my attention the most.

View from towers

At the recommendation of our driver, we ate at one of the vegetarian indian places right on site.  He did not steer us wrong.  The woman, who is half Indian, did the ordering, which was fine by me.  Got me the set lunch which was rice, a bunch of accompainments, and a bunch of curries.  D-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s.  All for 5 ringit.  Pretty gnarley.  After some touristy things, such as a clothing factory and the king's palace, the driver took us back.  The couple were exhausted and said they were going back for some R&R.  I got their ticket and invited tb Sue to the towers, but she said she couldn't.

I did the towers myself, watched a video, went up the elevator and admired the views.  The towers are pretty spectacular, however, I was a bit disappointed that the skybridge is on the 41st flood, and the building is 88 floors.

Not even half-way...

I went home for a shower, and to get dressed and planned to meet Sue for dinner.  She took me to Chinatown, and for some traditional Malay food.  The food was again great, trend number 2.  We walked around past some temples and through some markets.  Very lovely, and then she said we can walk back to my area and maybe grab a drink or a few, well that maybe I could.  After a semi-long walk, I decided a juice was more apt and we sat down while I texted my new friends from the afternoon.  The said to join them by their hotel, so we headed along, only to find out later that the woman wasn't feeling well and they had called it an early night.  Back to just me and Sue; we did some barhopping, I destroyed her in billiards, and then we parted ways.

darkinvader143 says:
seemed like you like curry a lot! :) Im beginning to like Indian food too... I like their "briani" (not sure if I spelled it right)...
Posted on: Nov 23, 2008
Sue_Malaysia says:
Thanks Jen. Hehe. I had good time that night. Hope to see u again Seth.
Posted on: Jun 22, 2008
jennethm says:
Im glad you also met up with Sue, she is one travbuddy the Malaysia TB can be proud of :)
Posted on: Jun 20, 2008